Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yep, this just fills me with confidence -- not. (Long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, this just fills me with confidence -- not. (Long)

So I finally grit my teeth a week ago and make an appointment for Fuzzy Britches and Fuzzy Butt at a nearby vet clinic. It's a two-minute drive away, which is great. It's also open 24 hours, not that I expect to need that in the foreseeable future ... I hope. I asked specifically for Dr. Good (names changed, obviously) as he had been specifically referred to me.

Probably because of the 24-hour accessibility, it is not a cheap place. They said they could "do" both cats (exams, vaccinations, etc.) for about $200. That's not too bad, but they also groom cats (and dogs). Fuzzy Britches is a longhair so I want him to get used to grooming now. However -- I was warned if he needed a tranquilizer, that would cost $133. (They use electric clippers and apparently cats have been known to take umbrage at the approach of said clippers.)

I have two cat carriers: the one I originally packed the poor beasts in for the trip from the Niagara Region to My Hometown, and another one I bought secondhand at a thrift shop. I can't find all the screws and nuts for the old one; the new one is held together (top and bottom) by plastic snaps.

I stuff Fuzzy Britches into the "new" one, and then put Fuzzy Butt into the old one. I go outside to open the car so I can rush the carriers from the house to the car. I go back inside ... and Fuzzy Britches has effected a jailbreak. Yep, somehow he has managed to bust out of the "joint" and is now heading for the far regions of the house.

I collar him, cursing, and stuff him into the other carrier with Fuzzy Butt. Both cats get agitated; I suspect somewhere in their little brains was a Red Alert: "OOOH NOOOZ! WE'RE GOING ON ANOTHER CROSS-PROVINCE TRIP!!!!"

I go to pick up the carrier and realize, between the combination of missing screws and two cats, it is on the verge of collapse. If the cats really start struggling it is likely to come apart like wet cardboard. Oh joy.

I get them in the car and rush off to the clinic. I struggle out of the car, clutching the carrier, trying to make sure there are no gaps that would allow a determined cat to get out, and get to the door. I have lots of fun trying to open TWO doors (a smart move in a vet clinic, actually) with a handful of collapsing carrier and two cats.

Finally I get inside and tell them I'm here to see Dr. Good.

The receptionist (NOT the one who made the original appointment), looks at me in bewilderment.

"I have an appointment," I say.

"But ... Dr. Good isn't in today."

"But ... I made an appointment," I repeat.

She's frantically flipping through the appointment book.

"I don't know who made the appointment, but (Dr. Good) doesn't work Thursdays, he only works Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays."

I didn't get the impression this was a new schedule for him. So ... their front desk staff don't know who works when?!

She said someone else could look at the cats but I had specifically asked for Dr. Good. I said thanks but no thanks. I'd look at my work schedule and see what else was available.

I managed to get the cats home without incident. They were a bit bewildered but apparently shrugged it off as one of those bizarre things humans do.

Then I went out and made an appointment at a different vet clinic; it's a new one but has a good reputation.

Still haven't decided whether to notify the first clinic that it was an older woman with an accent who made the appointment. I'm guessing it won't make much difference.

Went to a vet and got two of my male cats fixed. Will never go back. They gave me both my babies covered in pee. The poor things were scared, peed and they just let them sit in their pee in their carriers and didn't tell me. Had a surprise when I got home.

Went to a different vet for another male cat and they were awesome. He peed too but the difference? They cleaned him up and even shaved him up a bit. It's hard to find good vets.

It is always scary when they can't figure out who did what and you really don't want to trust your animals with people who don't seem to be professional and know what's going on.

Comment

I LOVE my vets. They are the most professional and compassionate people ever.

Friends of ours in another county took their female cat to be spayed at a clinic near where they live. When he went back to pick up the cat, the staffer told them they "couldn't find her."

Eventually they did find her and she was fine, but that, and other incidents they told us about, made me think they should never go to that place. Coming to our city is an hour's drive for them but if it's not an emergency, frankly, I think they should come to the clinic we use. They took our advice one time when their male cat had been bitten by another cat and their usual place didn't do much about it. Our vets cleaned up the bite, gave them antibiotics, etc. and he was fine when it healed.

There's also another clinic in town that has twice placed ads for lost dogs. Apparently someone's pets escaped while at their clinic. Yeaaaahhh, I'd stay away from that place, too.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I went to two different vets with Beebs (my lovebird) when he got pneumonia last year and the first 24 hour one was amazing. He really knew how to handle birds (there are no avian vets in either counties I live between but there are vets who can handle birds) and he was gentle, knowledgeable, and Beebs was quite comfortable with him.

The second vet who did the follow up just reached in the cage and grabbed him with a paper towel in his hand to prevent being hurt by Beeb's biting him. Not that it would help him if a lovebird (huge beak for a tiny body) really wanted to bite him and Beebs doesn't even bite! Seriously. If you just put your hand out he'll walk onto it. He doesn't care who you are, he loves everyone and I'd already told the guy that!

Not going there again, that's for sure. Beebs was so shaken after the experience I couldn't stand the thought of going there again.

Comment

The vet I had back in the Niagara Region was just amazing. If it wasn't six hours away (well, the way I drive, anyway, LOL) I'd stick with her! Pondering now whether to write her and ask if she knows anybody suitable here, but since I've already got an appointment with somebody, I'll stick it out there and see how it goes.

Comment

Sometimes even the cheap places can have good people. I took a female cat to a discount place to be spayed. I walked in and gave them her name, Houdini. When they called me to hand her over, I told the lady, 'Her name is descriptive." Lady glanced at soft sided carrier which had the zipper TIED and Safety pinned down, and said 'Escape artist hmmm? ok." Not only did she not escape, I actually saw that they had TIED their cage they had her sleeping in until we arrived.

Comment

I love that I am not the only one who calls pets Fuzzy Britches and Fuzzy Butt.
              https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

I have a vet that sees all sorts of creatures, since I have ratties and kitties. I love her and her new addition vet! They prefer that the vet assistants handle the animals if they have to do something "bad" like shots, but with me, I handled the rats. Rats stress out way too easily, so it was easier for me to handle 'em when they needed to be handled.

Poor Mickey (named after the Halo ODST, not the mouse), he'd had pneumonia, was having a heck of a time breathing. They kept him overnight, even though they only had someone who came in to check on the animals at night. This way, he could be on oxygen for a bit longer. Sadly... the day after I got him home, he started circle walking, had blood coming out of his ear... and could barely move his front legs and his rear ones were.. well, not too great.

The vet was willing to try to do everything he could, but, I could tell he was thinking the same thing I was, this rat wasn't going to make it. I think he had either had a major stroke or an aneurism and I knew he wouldn't improve, given he wasn't eating or drinking and he couldn't brux when getting his scritches. It was time to say goodbye. Since I had been in there a couple of days before, they didn't charge me at all for this visit.. A week later, I got a condolence card from them.

They aren't the closest vet by any means, but I like 'em.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                  I managed to get the cats home without incident. They were a bit bewildered but apparently shrugged it off as one of those bizarre things humans do.
                  Ohhh, no they didn't. They didn't shrug it off. They just filed it away for future mischief and evil.

Cats don't forget.

And they don't forgive.

...without significant bribery, anyway.

But they won't forget.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Oh dear ... thanks for the warning. I did try bribing Fuzzy Butt with some ground beef but he turned up his nose at it. Guess it'll have to be something a bit more expensive ... hmm, I do have some shrimp in the freezer ...

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                    I love that I am not the only one who calls pets Fuzzy Britches and Fuzzy Butt.
                    Fuzzy Britches is a longhaired cat who very definitely looks as if he's wearing a pair of very fuzzy pants when he walks away from you. Fuzzy Butt is the shorthaired but ... he's also the one who thinks my MiniMac is his very own personal bun warmer.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                      Oh dear ... thanks for the warning. I did try bribing Fuzzy Butt with some ground beef but he turned up his nose at it. Guess it'll have to be something a bit more expensive ... hmm, I do have some shrimp in the freezer ...
                      Shredded chicken. I shredded a spare piece of (cooked & cooled) chicken I had over the weekend and gave it to my furry overlords, and I think they just absorbed it. Gone before I could throw the paper towel away.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                      X