This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's only six weeks, not 2 years...

Heard about this one at work, hence it being a sighting. I KNOW the kid in question and this story surprised me a little.

So say that you're a video-game obsessed teenage boy who gets into a scuffle in school and breaks their wrist. The hospital decides that you need to have a cast put on. When you get home however, you discover that you can't play your beloved XBOX. Do you:

A) decide not to play and spend the six weeks (or however long it is) focusing on other things that are more important for life?
    B) figure out some creative way to play XBOX with your cast on or similar?
    C) Complain to your mother, who then takes you BACK to the hospital to get the cast trimmed down to a point where you can play XBOX with the cast still on.

If you answered C) congratulations, you're this guy! On top of that, it came out during a staff meeting that this particular kid (among several others) had a habit of playing XBOX (or PS3) into the wee hours of the morning. It was getting to the point where they'd find those kids in the sick bay sleeping all day.

Now, there is no excuse for the cast getting trimmed down in this case. If you're struggling to write, there are a number of speech-to-text programs out there and most teachers will allow you to use a computer if needed.

Methinks someone needs to cut the cord on said XBOX....>.>
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I agree, but perhaps Mom and Dad figure what the heck, at least this way they know where he is ...

Comment

I think Mom & Dad are enablers.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        On top of that, it came out during a staff meeting that this particular kid (among several others) had a habit of playing XBOX (or PS3) into the wee hours of the morning.
        Shouldn't that be "the Wii hours"?
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          I think Mom & Dad are enablers.
          I think so too. Sad thing is, I don't have a great relationship with the kid and I haven't met the parents.
          If he has a passion for video games, there are ways to channel that passion into something worthwhile...sitting around playing them until 5am does not help.

Luckily we have a very strict "no video games" rule at my site and that rule is doubly enforced during the school holidays. Primarily because we have kids from 2 different sites. We do have movies once or twice a week too.
          Last edited by fireheart; 09-22-2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I am also a video game obsessed person - who doesn't like XBOX - and I know that there are plenty of games out there that I could enjoy without the use of one of my hands. Then again, if he is THAT obsessed with XBOX, he probably plays all the "trigger-twitch frothing at the mouth button mash" games that XBOX is kind of famous (or infamous) for.

If I had been the doctor, I would have refused to trim the cast. It weakens the cast itself and he could very well break it or ruin his wrist putting stress on it like that.

Would serve him right if the wrist healed wrong and the doctor's had to literally RE-BREAK it so they could set it again.
            My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
            It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Good God. If my kid was in a fight and broke something, it's his own fault. He can whine all he likes, if he caused the problem he can deal with the consequences.

My child (much younger!) is also obsessed with video games. Since we don't let him play all the time, he builds Mario courses out of blocks and Legos. He's expressed interest in making his own game- and we recently found a board game that claims to teach the very, very basics of programming to 4-year-olds, so hopefully by channeling his interest into this real-life stuff, if he continues to love video games someday as an adult he will be able to design them.
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

As a family obsessed with gaming.. we have set bedtimes for a reason. And that reason is, Mommy would like her cup of hot tea, her favorite game and a lag-free network Actually, no.. well, yes it is.

If my son got into a fight and broke his wrist in school, he wouldn't have to worry about the cast not allowing him to play. He'd be grounded from any and all electronics, especially his games and for longer than the cast is on. Because I am the parent.

So, I have no sympathy with the kid or his parents. It's a situation they are creating and well, they'll literally have to live with it, because I do believe this kid is well on his way to being a shut-in.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Wasn't there someone in an old Nintendo Power who didn't have hands AT ALL and could play video games with his toes? Granted we're talking the good ol' original NES (just a d-pad and two red buttons is all ya need! ) but still...

Comment

I kind-of sympathize with the kid, honestly. I played a -lot- of videogames as a kid (Intellivision, not 360...stop laughing!), and still did just fine in school and scouts. It is all I really had to do most days, as we lived in a rural area away from most folks my age. Breaking my hand in such a way that I couldn't play would have taken away most of what I did to kill boredom.

Not sure what the other circumstances are, though. I'm just relating as someone who spent a lot of bored time when younger.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                      I am also a video game obsessed person
                      Same here. Born and raised by my favorite babysitter, Mme. Atari Twenty-Sixhundred
                      and I know that there are plenty of games out there that I could enjoy without the use of one of my hands
                      Paging doctor sheldon... doctor sheldon to the thread, please...
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I feel abused ... I was born in 1961, and had health issues from the start - I tended to get a cold in October, that rolled into bronchitis in November and ended up with pneumonia in December - and there was ONE television in the house, in the living room. In room in bed restriction, no TV at all - just a transistor radio [CBS Radio Mystery Theater was my absolute favorite bedtime listening!] and books and magazines. I was so used to spending 2 to 3 months in bed doing work sent home from school, I didn't realize I was missing *Christmas parties* in school! I would have loved a TV and some sort of video game!

At least I seemed to grow out of it when I hit 13-14. But I can still roll into pneumonia fairly fast from a basic cold
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                          I kind-of sympathize with the kid, honestly. I played a -lot- of videogames as a kid (Intellivision, not 360...stop laughing!), and still did just fine in school and scouts. It is all I really had to do most days, as we lived in a rural area away from most folks my age. Breaking my hand in such a way that I couldn't play would have taken away most of what I did to kill boredom.

Not sure what the other circumstances are, though. I'm just relating as someone who spent a lot of bored time when younger.
                          In the 1990s I was in pretty much exactly the same boat you were.

Comment

The story sort of reminds me of the time my sister fell off a trampoline and broke her arm. She, like me was a serious musician and we both played the oboe. At the time of her accident, she had several important performances coming up. When the doctor told her the arm was broken and would have to be casted, she asked our mother to go home and get her oboe so that her arm could be casted at the "right" angle so she could continue to play. The doctor was highly amused, but went ahead and did it.

Of course, in my sister's case, she didn't break her arm fighting, and her reasons for wanting it to be casted at the right angle were quite a bit different, but still, it reminded me of the story.
                            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                              The story sort of reminds me of the time my sister fell off a trampoline and broke her arm. She, like me was a serious musician and we both played the oboe. At the time of her accident, she had several important performances coming up. When the doctor told her the arm was broken and would have to be casted, she asked our mother to go home and get her oboe so that her arm could be casted at the "right" angle so she could continue to play. The doctor was highly amused, but went ahead and did it.

Of course, in my sister's case, she didn't break her arm fighting, and her reasons for wanting it to be casted at the right angle were quite a bit different, but still, it reminded me of the story.
                              See, now THAT I could understand. She also talked to the doctor. BEFORE the cast went on.

Comment

Working...
                              X