Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A heavy heart tonight -- I'll be jamming soon with a dying friend.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A heavy heart tonight -- I'll be jamming soon with a dying friend.

Unfortunately, after high school he and I lost contact. He went off to college, I did my thing. We haven't had contact for 18 years.

A few months back, I was told he wanted to speak to me, so he was given my number and called me. He informed me that he was ill. I'd heard from friends and family of mine (he'd spoken to them previously because he didn't have my contact info) that he was diagnosed with some form of cancer, and didn't have a lot of time left. He referred to himself as "being sick". We reminisced for a bit, talked of good times we had, etc. and had a very pleasant conversation.

Well, tonight (September 30, 2013) he calls me. He tells me that the doctors basically said he has about two months left to live. He's on a lot of painkillers right now, and has lost a lot of weight. He's 37 years old, with a wife and pre-teen daughter.

He lives about an hour or so away from me.

So with a very, very heavy heart, I'm going to schedule one last jam session with him before the Lord calls him home. Hopefully I can do it this weekend or next weekend, but I don't want to stretch it beyond that, as I don't want to take any chances. We're going to be playing some country music. Just me, him, a couple of guitars, and a microphone.

I've already gotten the OK from him to bring my 4-track recorder and roll some tape, so we're gonna do that as well. It's really gonna tear me up when I leave his house that day. Though I guess I could rejoice in the fact I spent it with a friend and hopefully brought a little happiness and joy to his life.

I'm going to feel really terrible if I miss this opportunity.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

/big hugs

I'm so sorry. Take solace in the fact that you will be bringing him some joy, and that the music you will make with him, will also comfort his family. Think about what a blessing it will be for them, to be able to hear that.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I am glad you got the chance to reconnect and will get to jam with him one last time. I'm sorry you will be loosing a friend.

Comment

Something else that might help to ease you a little - after all the years of no contact, you still meant that much to him that he wanted to get in touch again while he still had the chance. Time is very precious to him now, and he wants to spend some of what he's got left, with you. That's one heck of a compliment.
        I hope you both have a great time, and make a special memory.
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm hoping that our jam session brings him some joy.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
            Thank you all for the kind words. I'm hoping that our jam session brings him some joy.
            There are worse ways to go out. You'll be doing something precious for him that will also, eventually, give you comfort as well.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
            X