Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things which suck about a broken wrist...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things which suck about a broken wrist...

So, I shattered my right wrist September 3 and sprained my left wrist. I was at work, playing basketball with a mentally-challenged kid and his friend. The ball went over my head, I went for it... and kept going. I heard the crunch when I came down on it. The kid yelled, "Are you okay?" then trotted off to get the ball and kept shooting baskets. His idiot friend ran off.

At this point my right arm had a noticeable bulge in it where there should have been none. Then came the fun part. I had to call the kid's mom and wait for her to come get him. I called my boyfriend but he was out of gas and cash and could not come get me.

Also he had just put a cake in the oven. More on that later.

I had to drive myself ten miles home, wait for the cake to come out of the oven, and then we had to drive across town to sell some of my video games so we'd have enough money for gas to get to the hospital and back -- an ambulance costs thousands and was not an option. Then we drove to a smaller regional hospital in hopes of a shorter wait time in the ER... and hit road work on the way there.

The runaround I got from the doctor that hospital referred me to is worth a thread of its own, but the process of being seen by him involved dozens of phone calls, and entirely too much time spent listening to the nasal Long Island honk of that pitbull he calls his surgery scheduler, who seems to hate all that work and all those goddamn patients who just won't give her any peace at all. This was why I stayed in the ER temporary splint for two and a half weeks. There were x-rays. There were ct scans.

They revealed a horror show: my wrist basically consisted of bone chips embedded in meat.

There was surgery, during which it was discovered my wrist was so badly impacted that it had to be stretched back out. I spent that night throwing up, unable to stand, and getting nothing whatsoever out of the morphine drip. I spent the next day groaning, and a week later I went back to the doctor and got to see my arm without the splint... and wished I hadn't. I have plates holding my wrist together, with pins the size of screwdrivers sticking out of it.

As you can imagine, it's all terribly uncomfortable. I have discovered that several thing especially suck about having a broken wrist, also. Here they are, in no particular order.

1 -- Turning over in bed is now only slightly less complicated than moving a road production of Cats from Boston to Honolulu. There are pillows that must travel with you, and positions that must be maintained.

2 -- You want to use your wrists. You lust to use your wrists. You watch movies starring people who use their wrists.

3 -- I have more metal in my arm than you'll find in your average engine block, and yet, over the course of rebuilding me better, faster, and stronger, the doctors were not considerate enough to install a data port or even an electrical outlet.

4 -- Everyone wants to know what happened. For about a week I said it was a tragic confetti accident, then I said I'd been attacked by ducks, blamed it on a mosquito bite, and now I'm blaming it on having refused to eat lima beans all these years.

5 -- You plan your day around bowel movements, as wiping your own ass is about the only thing you can still do for yourself. But that involves having to take the brace off the sprained wrist, then do your business, wash your hand, dry your hand, and put the brace back on. Do you want to do all that more often than you have to? No, and so you save up for a big finish.

6 -- I had to cut my waist-length hair, of which I was quite proud. On the one hand I miss it, but on the other I now bear a marked resemblance to actor Mark Ryder, and I'm okay with that.

7 -- As you ride around as someone else's passenger (as you sure as hell can't drive yourself anywhere) you quickly learn that potholes, railroad tracks, and speed bumps are not your friends.

8 -- Likewise sneezing.

9 -- Sweat the slightest bit and your cast starts to give off a smell like something died of explosive diarrhea in there.

10 -- At intervals you will go stir-crazy and will wish to run around and scream and flail. You don't dare run lest you trip and break something else. You don't scream because it's the middle of the day and decent people are resting. You don't flail because you can't.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 10-02-2013, 04:36 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Awww, I can relate to #6, having just made it to waist myself. Too bad you don't have someone skilled at putting hair up to do it for you. Were you technically at work when it happened? Will they pay the doctor bills?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

That's awful. My mom broke her wrist and needed two surgeries but I don't think it was quite that bad. She had to go to physical therapy to regain full use of it (I assume you will as well). But it works fine now.

She broke the wrist of her dominant hand and she's a teacher so it was driving her nuts that she couldn't write. Once or twice she called me in tears because she was sofrustrated she couldn't do anything like her makeup or even button her pants. I felt pretty bad for her.

I hope it heals up well and you get your full use back. That sounds like a terrible ordeal.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I forwarded your post to a co-worker that shattered his wrist in a bicycling accident. (His surgeon had four words for him when he woke from surgery: "I did my best.") He pretty much agreed, and is rather pissed that he never thought of any of your comebacks to the "what happened?" questions...
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I'm with you on the Lima bean issue. Yuck! The bane of my childhood!

Years ago, I broke my left wrist. Normally this would not have been too major a deal, as I am very predominantly right handed. The problem at the time was that I was working as a banquet server, and I'd always used my left hand as my tray hand, and my right hand to serve. Well, when you can't lift one empty plate with your hand because your wrist is shattered, you sure as hell are not going to carry a large tray with twelve dinners on it across a hotel and/or through a ballroom. So, in my mid twenties, I had to re-teach myself how to carry a tray, with my right hand. Basically, I had to reverse everything I knew. Not nearly as easy as it sounds.

The good news was that I broke the wrist at work, so was covered by Workman's Comp. The bad news was that the doctor I was referred to was a blithering idiot, and only provided me with a splint when that wrist should have been casted. To this day, I still occasionally have issues with my left wrist. Which especially sucks at the moment, as I'm battling with a torn muscle below my right elbow. Makes life at work VERY interesting, to say the least.

Good luck with your injury! Hopefully you'll be back handing SCs with both hands again in no time!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
            2 -- You want to use your wrists. You lust to use your wrists. You watch movies starring people who use their wrists.
            You never realize just how much you rely on your hands until you are unable to use them. I had hand problems some years ago, though not even remotely as bad as yours (tenosynovitis, a repetetive stress work injury). You don't realize how many things, from starting your car to eating to using the bathroom to pretty much everything in life, rely on the use of your hands until one is immobilized.

But your injuries...yikes! (If I was that kid's mom and you were that badly injured while playing with him, I would've driven you to the hospital myself, not made you wait so long. Just saying.) I hope you have a speedy and thorough recovery with no complications.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Owwww--oww--owww! That sounds awful! I thought my stupid frozen shoulder was a pain (and it is) but at least I don't have metal implants or a splint or any of that crap.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                Awww, I can relate to #6, having just made it to waist myself. Too bad you don't have someone skilled at putting hair up to do it for you. Were you technically at work when it happened? Will they pay the doctor bills?
                Yeah, I was providing respite care. Thankfully it all falls under workman's comp.
                Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Working...
                X