This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotch

An someone educate me? I've always been a rye drinker (wisers mostly)

But lately I've taken up smoking premium cigars as a " outside playing with my now 3 dogs" kinda hobby and I've been told that a glass of scotch is an awesome compliment to a good cigar. Now I don't mind dropping $80-120 on a bottle (I'm in canada) because I know price matters. Only thing is I'm a rookie and need suggestions.

If you want to go for a single malt, as opposed to a blend, the smokey or 'peaty' ones would probably be a good complement. I'd suggest an Islay malt - there are three main ones, Laphroaig, Ardbeg and Lagavulin, but also some good lesser known ones. Or you could try Talisker from the island of Skye, which is spicy as well as smokey - but it won't be cheap.

If you want to go for a blend, you could do worse than Johnnie Walker Black Label - if you're new to Scotch, that night be a good one to go for, there's a bit of sweetness in there along with the smoke.
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Well I bought a bottle of balvenie double wood today, first taste was very good. Drank it warm in a glass. Also bought a few of my favourite cigars. Will try the combo after kids are in bed

Comment

Update:

CAO MX2 cigar (my current favourite, even over much more expensive monte cristos) and the double wood....seriously a treat.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try it with my Gurka Assassin. But it's the first time I've purchased one and wanted a familiar cigar with the scotch the first time. I've got to say I quite enjoy the combination. The cigar with the booze definitely kind of take any bite out of each other. Leaving smooth flavour on both.
        Attached Files

Comment

Ah yes, the Balvenie, very good too - and if you enjoy that, you would probably also enjoy the Dalwhinnie 15 year old malt. That's one with no rough edges at all - I don't mean it's bland, but just rounded, if you get me.

(and don't the names of the single malts sound so beautiful too?)
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I know very little about scotch, as I only drink it every now and then. However, I do know quite a bit about rum. Including the fact that there are many good and great sipping rums that go fantastically well with a good cigar.

Just offering an alternative!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Hey I'm game for anything. Hell even a good mixed drink that goes with a full bodied smoke. I just am looking for that "me" time before bed haha

Comment

Oh, and while you're looking at Scotch, don't forget that a good Irish whiskey can be a real treat too - Bushmills do 10 yr old, 16 yr old and 21 yr old single malts...

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
                  Hey I'm game for anything. Hell even a good mixed drink that goes with a full bodied smoke. I just am looking for that "me" time before bed haha
                  Well, if you're looking for a nice sipping rum that would be good with a cigar, either neat or on the rocks, off the top of my head, here are a few suggestions, in no particular order.

Barbancourt Reserve 15 year
                  Zaya Gran Reserva
                  Zacapa Centenario 23 year old
                  Pyrat XO Reserve
                  Pyrat Cask 1623 $$$$
                  Dos Maderas 5+5 P.X.
                  Dos Maderas 5+3
                  Diplomatico Exclusiva Reserva
                  Pampero Anniversario
                  Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 year
                  Matusalem Gran Reserva 18 year
                  Santa Teresa 1796 Solera
                  Botran Solera 1893
                  Vizcaya Cask No. 21
                  Zafra 21 year
                  Millonario 15 year
                  Centenario 20 year
                  Centenario 25 year $$
                  Abuelo Centuria $$
                  El Dorado 21 year old $$
                  Flor de Cana 18 year
                  Flor de Cana 12 year
                  Bacardi Reserva Limitada
                  Zacapa XO $$
                  Mount Gay Extra Old
                  Mount Gay 1703 $$

Still A Customer."

Comment

Holy. Well I'll have to check some out this week. I doubt the wife would enjoy the $200 a week cigar hobby also adding $200 in booze haha. But I'm interested in having a good few bottles to taste from

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
                      Holy.
                      Well I am the Rum Guy, ya know!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Well. I'm not quite off scotch yet. Wife surprised me with cigars and Glenfiddich 12 year. And some new glasses
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X