Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on decent point & shoot digital camera?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
    Thirded; in fact, I think many cameras have gone too far in the megapixel count. The smaller the pixel size, the fewer photons it can receive, and the more it runs up against the laws of physics. That's why I like DSLRs, since with a larger imager they can devote more real estate to each pixel.
    Absolutely. My D300 with 12.3mp is more than I'll ever need. Seeing as I don't blow up beyond A3 then I'll never need more than this.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
      Absolutely. My D300 with 12.3mp is more than I'll ever need. Seeing as I don't blow up beyond A3 then I'll never need more than this.
      Heh. Well, more pixels are handy if you're going to be doing any significant cropping. I also have a D300, and am pretty happy with it.

I do still lust after a D600, though; at 24 megapixels, it's a lot, but it also uses a full-frame sensor, so the pixel density is about the same as the D300. I'd have to buy new lenses though, so it'd be quite an investment.

Comment

I have an Olympus TG-630. I got it basically brand-new from our local video game store. The guy basically told me the person who traded it in is an idiot that buys electronics brand new on sale and then brings it in to try to make a buck. It's pretty amazing. It takes pictures in almost near darkness, all the pictures look pretty decent, takes short videos and has a ton of different settings, but you don't really need to fool around with them if you don't want. It's shock proof from 5 feet, waterproof to 16, crush-proof and weather-proof. And it has a pretty quick shutter speed. I got it b/c my sweet 16 birthday present barely even turns on anymore with brand-new batteries. (This one has a rechargeable one). And the shutter speeds don't even compare. It's like comparing a little 4 cylinder VW Beetle to a Mustang. I love it. However, it retails for about $200. I got mine for I think $71 or $79 dollars. Everything was still in the original packaging. I totally recommend it. But no matter what you get, you want a really fast shutter speed. My last one was slow, even compared to other ones at the time I bought it. As a result, any pictures my mom took were of the ground.
        No, Buzz. I AM your hotdog in pajamas!
        sewingwithmermer.wordpress.com

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
          I do still lust after a D600, though; at 24 megapixels, it's a lot, but it also uses a full-frame sensor, so the pixel density is about the same as the D300. I'd have to buy new lenses though, so it'd be quite an investment.
          I got mine as a step up from my D70 - the difference between the two is enough to make me realise it's all the camera I'll ever need with my ability and use.
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
          X