Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That's what happens when you don't pay attention to simple requests...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's what happens when you don't pay attention to simple requests...

Wasn't sure whether to put this in brain burps or in here, but considering I approached the customer several times about the issue, figured here was more fitting.

At the arena I work at, we have a special event every Friday/Saturday night where people can pay a set fee and play as many games as they can fit into 3 hours. Naturally we get people of all ages (and I do mean ALL ages, the oldest person we have ever had was a ninety-something year old war veteran that still holds the record for the highest accuracy by a casual player, with a VERY impressive 100% accuracy. I think he may have been a sniper. But I digress...)

I dislike laughing at a childs misfortune, but they were asking for trouble. Each time I saw the child heading into the arena, I saw they had their shoelaces untied, being the sensible person I am, first time I saw it, I gave them a gentle reminder. Second time, I gave them a firm verbal prodding. Third time I said if they did not tie up their shoelaces, they would not be allowed to go into the next game. Should have simply not let them in at that point, because Murphys law kicked in.

I had to do a quick patrol of the arena to make sure everyone was behaving; in the arena there is a very long ramp with a low-to-medium angle on it (ramp is about 20-25 foot long), sure enough, I saw little-miss-untied-shoelaces come running around the corner at the top of the ramps, step on her own shoelaces, trip up, fall over and proceed to do what has been dubbed the "superman slide", belly first, down the long ramp.

As tempted as I was to laugh, I managed to keep a straight face and said in a polite, but no-nonsense tone "Perhaps now you will listen to your elders. I asked you THREE times to tie your laces."
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Ouch. Luckily she didn't fall on the gun.

What do you want to bet the Snowflake's parents cry foul and try to sue the arena for unsafe conditions?

Comment

Nope, her parents were on site when it happened and backed me up. New Zealand thankfully is nowhere near the level of EW/SCness that America can get to be at times.

Also it is almost impossible to sue within New Zealand, there is so many hoops one needs to jump through that it is simply not worthwhile.
      Violets are blue,
      Roses are red,
      I bequeath to thee...
      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Years ago I read a story in the paper about some guy who was suing a company that made either shoelaces, or his shoes, can't remember which....because he tripped over untied laces and his suit was based on the fact that the product did not explicitly state that walking around with laces untied could cause you to trip and fall.

Never did find out what happened. I sincerely hope that the judge laughed so hard he had to call a recess, then threw out the lawsuit and charged the guy with wasting the court's time.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Years ago I read a story in the paper about some guy who was suing a company that made either shoelaces, or his shoes, can't remember which....because he tripped over untied laces and his suit was based on the fact that the product did not explicitly state that walking around with laces untied could cause you to trip and fall.

Never did find out what happened. I sincerely hope that the judge laughed so hard he had to call a recess, then threw out the lawsuit and charged the guy with wasting the court's time.
          It was Nike, in 2000. Google is your friend. I searched for <shoelace lawsuit> and found this: http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2000/Ni...d5370620863b05
          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

I love their response -- basically, that there are people out there who don't always tie their shoes properly...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              I love their response -- basically, that there are people out there who don't always tie their shoes properly...
              Yeah, the plaintiff is trying to claim there's a flaw with the shoes that made her trip.

But Nike's response was basically, "Yeah, we'll look into it, but if your laces weren't tied, Occam's Razor says it wasn't the shoe that made you trip, it was that you weren't wearing them properly."
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

When I read it, it sounded like that back tab must have been rigid. If it was rigid, then it wasn't her fault. But yeah, I doubt it was, Nike would have to be very stupid to do that because it WOULD cause people to trip, and they would know that. Far more likely they WERE untied, or not tied properly, and she just lied about the looping.

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                  Also it is almost impossible to sue within New Zealand, there is so many hoops one needs to jump through that it is simply not worthwhile.
                  Ok, so who do I have to shag to get the New Zealand version of a "Green Card"?
                  I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                    Ok, so who do I have to shag to get the New Zealand version of a "Green Card"?
                    A sheep?

*filler text*
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                      A sheep?
                      As long as it's not the ugly one...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

As a Kiwi,we can also go and work in Oz without any restrictions-so if you're a cute girlie thinking of doing her gap year down under and supplementing income by bartending,having a NZ nationality is a real bonus. And the best way to get that=marrying a nice single NZ guy.
                        Hint hint hint....
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                          A sheep?

*filler text*
                          Oh yeah...didn't see that coming. He said, dripping with sarcasm
                          I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Working...
                          X