This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amtrak is Pretty Cool

I'm not sure where to put this one, so I'll put it here.

Anyway, I was planning to take the train over to Chicago today. As I was heading to the station, I stopped at the ATM to get some money and as I usually do, I put my wallet on the seat rather than trying to put it back in my pants while in the car. So I get to the station and I had an e-ticket, so I didn't have to check in. Well as I was about to board the train, I realized that I didn't feel my wallet and then I realized what happened, so I missed the train.

Looking at the ticket information, I figured that my ticket price was forfeit and I wasn't going to contact them about something that was my fault. A little later, I get an e-mail from Amtrak saying there was a problem with my reservation and to call them. After speaking to the rep, she said that I could get most of my ticket price back. So I did. I can't imagine the airlines doing that.

So I booked my reservation for next Saturday to try again. It's probably just as well as the weather was pretty crappy today.

And the pictures I did take today:
    http://michiganexposures.blogspot.co...ing-train.html

I've been pretty happy with Amtrak. I don't get the people who bitch about them; they've probably never even taken a train.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I work with Amtrak on a regular basis. They are pretty hit-or-miss with their phone customer service, but it sounds like you got a good one, which is awesome.

I will say their service has vastly improved over the past decade or so. Pre-9/11 days, it was a running joke in our industry on who would lose the coin toss to have to be the loser who called amtrak.

They pretty much snarled at everyone back then, at least toward Travel agents.
      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
        I work with Amtrak on a regular basis. They are pretty hit-or-miss with their phone customer service, but it sounds like you got a good one, which is awesome.

I will say their service has vastly improved over the past decade or so. Pre-9/11 days, it was a running joke in our industry on who would lose the coin toss to have to be the loser who called amtrak.

They pretty much snarled at everyone back then, at least toward Travel agents.

LMAO - I worked for Amtrak in the reservations department for eleven years. I really liked that job for the most part - I love trains, I love travel, and I love talking about both.

Sometimes I was assigned to the travel agent queue.

The only travel agent that I wasn't nice to was one that called me up and barked at me to make her a reservation. I was halfway though, her bitching all the while, until I figured out she was a T.A. The customer was right there - she'd pause, ask them how many people, destination, etc. I was like...'um, you're taking the client's money, but you're calling us to make a reservation and having the passenger get the ticket at the ticket counter? In other words, your entire contribution to the whole process was calling us (with a 'tude)? I don't think so - get off my line and make your own reservation!'

Amtrak does for the most part have a pretty good cancellation policy - glad you had a good experience, Miko!

Comment

Well part 2 of this story. I did make it to Chicago on Saturday and enjoyed my time on the train.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
            Well part 2 of this story. I did make it to Chicago on Saturday and enjoyed my time on the train.
            Michigan to Chicago? I'll bet that's a pretty trip. I just checked out your original pictures link - very cool! (literally; it looked cold there). Do you have more now?

Comment

Quoth mysticgirl5 View Post
              Michigan to Chicago? I'll bet that's a pretty trip. I just checked out your original pictures link - very cool! (literally; it looked cold there). Do you have more now?
              Yes....same blog. I took one of the architecture river tours and that was pretty cool as well.

Comment

Working...
              X