Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I learned to share in pre-school - how bout you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I learned to share in pre-school - how bout you?

This one still perturbs me almost a week after the fact.

Driving home, I went the back way as I often do, cutting through a few suburban streets.

Driving down this one street I see a vehicle approaching, right in the center of the road.

I continue on. Now, my memory is a little fuzzy but as I recall, there was some space initially on the street where I could have pulled to the right, then a couple of cars. However, on the left side of the street, it was almost completely free of vehicles.

So I continued on, assuming the oncoming vehicle would swerve to the left a little bit so we could easily pass each other.

LOLNOPE.

The guy gets his vehicle almost right up next to mine in the middle of the road - barely enough room for us both because of cars on either side of us - and starts honking and yelling something like he's a selfish 8 year old. All he had to do was slow down a little and bear off to the left (his right) and we both would have fit just fine.

I yelled something like "share the road, dude!" or something and kept going. Man, I was tempted to follow him just so I could ask why he was being such a selfish asshole, but Diablo III was calling and I had to heed my dark master.

A similar habit I've noticed a lot more frequently lately. I'm driving in my lane on a two lane street/highway/whatever. Oncoming traffic has some obstruction (peds, mail carrier, tractor...) in their lane. They will pull into MY lane to go around it! Sometimes they get back over and no big, but all too often I'm forced to brake or swerve to accommodate them. It's more of the self-centeredness that's endemic. Yes, I understand that something in your lane is slowing you down momentarily, but it's just like passing anything else - the oncoming lane needs to be clear before you use it. Just being there first doesn't entitle you to use oncoming traffic's lane.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
      A similar habit I've noticed a lot more frequently lately. I'm driving in my lane on a two lane street/highway/whatever. Oncoming traffic has some obstruction (peds, mail carrier, tractor...) in their lane. They will pull into MY lane to go around it! Sometimes they get back over and no big, but all too often I'm forced to brake or swerve to accommodate them. It's more of the self-centeredness that's endemic. Yes, I understand that something in your lane is slowing you down momentarily, but it's just like passing anything else - the oncoming lane needs to be clear before you use it. Just being there first doesn't entitle you to use oncoming traffic's lane.
      I've been on my bike, and with no usable shoulder. Drivers have pulled across the *double yellow line* (which means you don't pass, *ever* unless you want a ticket) to get around me.

Yeah, I'm slow. But it's the only road and it's only a few blocks until it widens again. Sheesh.

Comment

I was on my way home. It was during baseball season, and people park ridiculously at this time. They park their cars on both sides of the street, so there is very little room for cars in either direction to fit through. I was turning onto my street, which had two cars parked in front of me cause the glass shop doesn't allow baseball parking. the other side of the street, the one with oncoming traffic, has no cars parked in it at all. Their was a guy in a truck who was, driving on my side of the road. He was coming right at my face, and looking completely oblivious. I stopped near the parked cars, and waited for this fool to wake up. He finally sees me in my car, and pulls over to his side of the road. But he still had that "derp a derp" look on his face. Is he trying to get himself killed, or does he think it's perfectly normal to drive at someone's face? Idiot.
        “I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.”
        ― Rebecca West

Comment

Working...
        X