This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom's laptop

So my mom has a laptop (one of those little notebook, mini-laptop things, not sure any of the specs, going over there tomorrow and will update you when I remember to check) and it runs Windows 7. I'm pretty sure her biggest problem is the fact that it has 1 gb of memory. It runs really slow and freezes all the time, in addition to the fact that different windows won't "snap" and fit to the screen and the bottoms are cut off. The most specific example of this is the fact when you press "print" and the dialog box comes up, it won't resize and no matter where you move it on the screen part of the bottom is cut off. Is there anyway to make it faster and to cut down on the sizing problems it has?
    No, Buzz. I AM your hotdog in pajamas!
    sewingwithmermer.wordpress.com

Off the top of my head, I'd say a possible display driver issue. Make sure the resolution is set correctly (rt-click on empty desktop, select personalize, then settings, I think). You may need to re-install the driver if it is already set to the correct resolution, or the correct resolution doesn't appear as an option on the slider..

Also, check and see if the display has some kind of scaling options that might be set too large. I know you can adjust things off the screen with a monitor, but I'm not sure about laptops.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Sounds like a netbook with Windows Starter. Since it only has 1GB of RAM, I'd first suggest to upgrade it to 2GB (which is the highest Windows Starter supports; check first that the memory is replacable - on most netbooks it is, but there a few with it soldered to the mainboard).

As has been recommended, also check the resolution - though it might not help (some netbooks had really pathetic 1024x576 resolution, which is too small for modern windows).

Comment

Working...
      X