This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible self sighting?

This happened yesterday to my CW and I at lunch, and while I think we were pretty much ok doing what we did, I figured I’d ask. CW and I decided to go out to lunch, to a local Chinese place that has good food, quick service, and not pricy for lunch. Normally we go in, order, get our soup, and then our food comes, usually before we’ve even finished that. We can be in, out and back to work in less than an hour.

Not yesterday. We go in, and they are taking 4 separate take out orders, and then seat us. The restaurant was pretty empty at that point. we order, and get our soup. And wait. In the meantime, the phone is ringing, and the owner/manager is running around like a headless chicken, and the one other person, the waiter, is doing the same. And the tables are filling up. After about 25+ minutes, I ask our waiter, who I don’t think has a good grasp of English, nicely, is our food coming? He looks and says um, yes.

In the meantime, ALL other tables that have come in after us, and been seated, have gotten their food. 4-6 if I remember correctly. Another 10 minutes go by, and I asked the owner/manager. At this point, we’ve been waiting about 35 minutes for our meals. She gives us some excuse that oh, they have so many takeout orders, they are busy (and I can see they don’t have enough staff) but no apology, or “sorry, you’re order was lost/we forgot to put it in, which is what I think happened).

So we wait another 5 minutes or so, which by this times is about 45 total, and still no food. So we left. Were we sucky for not paying for our soup? At this point both of the staff were nowhere to be found, there was 3 or 4 people waiting for their take out, and we had to get back to work. Trying to get them to give us a check for just that probably would have taken another 10 minutes or more. And quite honestly, as they just brushed us off when we asked if it was coming didn't make us too inclined to do anything before leaving.

45 minutes and no food while everyone who came in after is served? It would suck NOT to walk!

When I was about 19, my friend and I went into a NationalChainDiner and ordered coffees and lunches. We were talking, and talking, and talking... wondering if anyone was going to check on us or bring our food. Finally after literally 1.5 hours we stand up and wave our arms for attention. A different waitress came over and asked in an annoyed tone if we were ready for our check. I looked at her a second and said, "Check? We've waited an hour and a half for our FUCKING FOOD!" The waitress just turned and walked away, so we walked out and so did another party who hadn't even been greeted 20 minutes after being seated.
    Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

When this happens, take the time to contact the owner. They will probably be interested in this behavior, especially if the manager does not take steps to correct it.

Comment

"seinfeld.... ...four????"

Comment

Quoth Jim View Post
          When this happens, take the time to contact the owner. They will probably be interested in this behavior, especially if the manager does not take steps to correct it.
          Honestly, I think she may have been the owner. she sort of is in charge every time we've been in. And there is a bit of a language barrier so I'm not sure going that route would be helpful. Any other place, absolutely, but in this case, there's another one just as close so we'll jsut go there from now on.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
            *snip*

Were we sucky for not paying for our soup? At this point both of the staff were nowhere to be found, there was 3 or 4 people waiting for their take out, and we had to get back to work. Trying to get them to give us a check for just that probably would have taken another 10 minutes or more. And quite honestly, as they just brushed us off when we asked if it was coming didn't make us too inclined to do anything before leaving.
            Sucky? No, not under the circumstances. But you did get the soup, even if nothing else. I would go back at some point, remind them what happened and explain that you are there to pay for the soup. I would also ask what happened, because normally you get great service, but that day everybody BUT you seemed to be getting good service (not to mention food). See what kind of reception you get and that will let you know whether you ever want to go back.

Just my 2 Knuts.

Comment

Yeppers w/ Pixel, on all points.

I totally understand the time crunch, and others getting served but not you leaves them no real wiggle room customer satisfaction-wise. (I'm going to make an educated guess - last minute short staff, ticket lost, but they didn't know that ticket was lost yet. )

Comment

I would not bother to go back and pay for the soup. Time is money. You wasted most of your lunch break trying to give these people money in exchange for service. Your lost time is worth far more than some soup. Call it even.

I went to a poboy place near my work one time on my half hour lunch break. I ordered a chicken fried steak poboy with fries and a drink in the drive thru. Now understand this is not a made from scratch place, this CFS would be processed and frozen and just need to be tossed in the fryer for a few minutes. But they had me pull up and I waited 20 minutes. Finally I waited until there were no cars at the window and I backed up to it. I told them I wanted my money back. I had spent 5 minutes driving there, 20 minutes waiting, and now had 5 minutes to get back to work before my break was over and had no time to stop for anything else.

Comment

You never got the soup, you dont know if they ever made the soup in the first place.....why offer to pay for ghost soup?
                  We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Comment

Quoth Rebel1012 View Post
                    You never got the soup, you dont know if they ever made the soup in the first place.....why offer to pay for ghost soup?
                    Well...
                    we order, and get our soup. And wait.
                    In other words, they got the soup.
                    If they might want to go back, it could be a good idea to offer to pay and let the owners reaction decide.

Comment

Were we sucky for not paying for our soup?
                      Technically that's theft. I do not blame you at all for not waiting for your food, but I would have left enough cash on the table to cover my soup if I had cash. If I didn't have cash, I'd probably tell them that since I didn't have time to wait around anymore, I'd pay them for it next time. If I decided to come back after that experience.
                      "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

sorry was going off the bottom bit where they said they had received no food....
                        We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X