This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card Help?

I just bought a video card, it's used, and I can't get it to work on my system. I'm thinking it's borked since it won't even go to the bios. Everything turns on, all the power runs, then it just.... stops... and nothing happens. I'm thinking it's sending a signal to the video card but because it's receiving nothing back it just won't go any further. I have no idea what to do at this point.

My last video card was a Radeon 6850 Sapphire. This is a Radeon 6850 something else. I knew that the Radeon's worked on my computer and worked well, so I wanted to get the same thing.

I know this card works. I know this card works WELL in my current system.

Can anyone recommend a card that will replace it and work equally as well since this one is out of production?

"Radeon 6850 Sapphire" simply means that Sapphire (the company) put together this particular Radeon 6850. The two cards should be the same spec.

A common mistake is forgetting to attach the extra power connector to the graphics card. Usually this results in a big loud warning appearing on the screen when the computer halts to prevent damage.

However, being a used card, it's also entirely possible that the card is simply broken. May I ask why you're not using your old Radeon 6850?

As for new replacements, the Radeon 7850 would be the nearest in spec, with the 7870 being a little better for a little more money. These, too, are about to be discontinued, though, and replaced by the R7 260X. It's up to you whether you want to wait.

Comment

Oh it won't even BOOT. There is NO warning, nothing comes up on the screen when you try and boot it. Jack, ziltch, nada. But yes, it was attached to power supply.

Old card throws lines through the display. Everywhere, randomly. Pretty little rainbows all over my screen. My CPU's heat sink broke the mount on it and fell, deciding to land on my video card, and break that too. >_< Got that fixed but yea, ko'ed the video card.

Comment

Sounds like the card is a dud, then. Send it back to the seller, and check that your old card still works in the slot (as much as it did, anyway).

Then go and get a new card. The ones I mentioned should work with the drivers you already have installed, or an updated version of them at any rate.

Comment

If neither card is working, I'd get suspicious and borrow a known-working card to try out on the system, to make sure it isn't a problem with the motherboard.

Comment

Seconded. We thought we had a failed video card and rather than tear apart another machine to do any swapping to test, we got ahold of a replacement only to find the PCI-E slot packed it in, and the "dead" card worked just fine in my gaming rig.
            "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

I know the slot works, the old as hell back up proves that! Not the same brand but it keeps my comp running.

Comment

Working...
              X