This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Part Timers

I teach college freshman classes. My school (where I have worked for 5 years) has decided that freshman classes should be taught be full-time faculty. This is a good change for students, as full time faculty can often build a better rapport and devote more time to individual students.

I applied for a full time position, but after a few months finally received a "thanks but no thanks" email. Not even asked to interview.

They might find other classes for me, but there's no guarantee. So for now, I'm expecting once the switch is made in January, I'm out of a job, though they won't do me the courtesy of firing me. (Since there's always that "possibility" of other classes.)

Five years, good-to-great evals and reviews, I worked during my mother's funeral and my wedding, and that's it. Really kinda sucks.

Aw, that just sucks. I hear more and more about how loyal, hardworking employees who have been getting great reviews are passed over for promotions and the like or simply let go, and almost always in favor of people who are at the lower end of the pay scale or who are buddy-buddy with someone in management.

One of my own bosses was like this - he'd do ANYTHING to minimize payroll, and often the first to go where the more experienced people, leaving the practically-incompetent to fill the vacancy. Raises were practically non-existent, and were trivial when they DID happen.

Yet, we were all expected to remain loyal to the company. Nobody could seem to figure out why morale was so bad, or why quality took a nose dive, either. Anyone who quit and left for greener pastures was badmouthed for MONTHS after, no matter how professional or experienced and hardworking he'd been.

Comment

Quoth Miss Fatale View Post
      ...for now, I'm expecting once the switch is made in January, I'm out of a job, though they won't do me the courtesy of firing me.
      Despite not being technically fired, you might still qualify as being underemployed. You'll have to check with your local Department of Labor.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
        Aw, that just sucks. I hear more and more about how loyal, hardworking employees who have been getting great reviews are passed over for promotions and the like or simply let go, and almost always in favor of people who are at the lower end of the pay scale or who are buddy-buddy with someone in management.
        Yeah, with my 5 year anniversary, I reached a new pay grade; there are just two above me now. My husband thinks that's part of why I wasn't asked to interview.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
          Despite not being technically fired, you might still qualify as being underemployed. You'll have to check with your local Department of Labor.
          I wasn't sure if it'd be worth it. Thanks! I'll keep this in mind.

Comment

Quoth Miss Fatale View Post
            Yeah, with my 5 year anniversary, I reached a new pay grade; there are just two above me now. My husband thinks that's part of why I wasn't asked to interview.
            I think your husband is probably right.

Comment

Though it sucks to be out of a job like that, I always try to keep a positive attitude.

On the plus side-
              *You may still be call on as a substitute (until you can full-time employment).
              *You can show future employers good work experience.
              I do not know your situation further, so try adding to this list. It should be a good moral booster.
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
              X