This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaining about low prices

So yesterday an email went out to former guests offering Stupidly Low Price With Food! It is, suffice to say, an incredibly awesome deal. The email went out, everyone tried to book at once, the website crashed, so they called us. At one point we had 45 calls in under an hour, and only one reservationist was scheduled at any given time.

I'm complaining because I got Stupidly Low Price

Because this is a special promotion for former guests, and because it is stupid cheap, it is not something we are openly offering. Guests wanting to book Stupidly Low Price must request it and tell us they received the Stupidly Low Price Special Email.

SC: "Yeah, I'm interested in booking a room on *dates*. What sort of specials are you offering?"
    Me: "Well, I have [rattles off the standard package deals we have]."
    SC: "Now let me ask you something, are you at the hotel?"
    Me: "Yes."
    SC: "So, you're actually at the hotel?"
    Me: "Yes."
    SC: "You're not in a call center somewhere?"
    Me: "No, I am here at the hotel."
    SC: "Are you sure?"
    Me: "Yes." I've answered you four fucking times, get to the point.
    SC: *suddenly goes nuclear* "BECAUSE I JUST GOT THIS EMAIL FOR STUPIDLY LOW RATE AND IT'S WAY LESS THAN WHAT YOU ARE TELLING ME! WHAT KIND OF BUSINESS IS THIS?!"
    Me: "Sir..."
    SC: "YOU'RE TELLING ME IF I CALL YOU I HAVE TO PAY MORE WHEN I CAN JUST GO TO YOUR WEBSITE AND BOOK STUPIDLY LOW RATE!"
    Me: "Sir, if you have the email...."
    SC: "THIS IS NO WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS! YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LOSE SO MUCH MONEY! YOU NEED TO GET YOUR DEALS STRAIGHT!"
    Me: "Sir, the email was a special promotion that is not open to everyone. It was only sent out to former guests to invite you back since we've reopened. It is not a standard package that we offer."
    SC: *suddenly calm* "Oh, that makes sense then."

Give me special treatment!

Stupidly Low Rate can be used for any of our standard rooms. Balcony rooms are considered one tier up and referred to as "deluxe" rooms. All first-floor rooms have patios and are classified as balcony "deluxe" rooms.

SC: "Yes, my husband received your email for Stupidly Low Rate. He's an administrator at [University] and has planned $50,000 worth of events there in the past. I was wondering if I could book a first floor room for [dates]?"
    Me: "Our first-floor rooms are all considered deluxe rooms and unfortunately the promotional rate only applies to standard rooms. I can book you a room at Stupidly Low Price on the third or fourth floor."
    SC: "How much would a waterview on the first floor be then?"
    Me: [gives rate 2x of Stupidly Low Price, which is still a good deal since it's an off-season rate]
    SC: "That's too much. My husband is an administrator at [University] who books events, and we assume that's why he got the email. Now, if I call back during the day, will there be someone who can get us the downstairs waterview at the Stupidly Low Price?"
    Me: "I can put in a request for you. I can take your information and pass it on and someone can call you back tomorrow."
    SC: "Are you actually at the hotel or are you just an answering service?"
    Me: "I'm here at the hotel." What is with everyone tonight thinking I'm a call center?
    SC: "Okay. Because my husband is [repeats the same spiel]."

I was considering offering her Stupidly Low Price plus an "upgrade fee" that would be the typical difference between a standard and deluxe room, but I was so sick of hearing her talk about how her husband is Super Special Person that I just wanted to get her off the phone and not deal with her anymore.

This Lady Made My Night!

I booked a room for a nice little old lady who was treating her daughter to a weekend out. The transaction was smooth and sweet, and when I asked for her email address, she obliged without missing a beat.

Lady: "...and that's P as in Pamela, C as in Cunt, D as in Darling..."

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I get the answering service thing. A few months ago I tried calling what I assumed to be the number for a hotel chain, as that's what was listed under their google map post, but instead got a call center.
    But the paint on me is beginning to dry
    And it's not what I wanted to be
    The weight on me
    Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

I think the only reason the first one shut up is because you basically told him he was a "super speshul snowflake," and got the deal because of that status. But hey, sometimes you gotta feed their delusions to keep your sanity.

And yeah, Ophbalance has the right of it. Most people think they're calling the hotel, only to get a call center. Had it happen a lot when people would call the 800 number for the repair center. It used to come to the local repair center, until they outsourced it. So people would call start calling our secondary numbers and get us, ask about 10 times if we were the local repair center... I hated that part.

All I can do for the third one is fall over laughing!
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Call three is a hoot.

Call one, wtf? It's like he was purposely trying to catch you in a lie. If I were calling to confirm such a thing, I'd start out with "Hi, I received an email offering Stupidly Low Rate for your hotel, may I have some details?"
        I'd try to figure out just why he'd want to catch someone in a lie, but those things hurt my brain parts.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
          ask about 10 times if we were the local repair center...
          Caller> Is this really the local repair center?

Phone op> I'm with <hotelname> and I'd be glad to-

Phone op> I'm with <hotelname> and I'd be glad to-

Phone op> DAMN! That's three times! ARGH! Sorry, no, this is really just a call center.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
            Call three is a hoot.

Call one, wtf? It's like he was purposely trying to catch you in a lie. If I were calling to confirm such a thing, I'd start out with "Hi, I received an email offering Stupidly Low Rate for your hotel, may I have some details?"
            I'd try to figure out just why he'd want to catch someone in a lie, but those things hurt my brain parts.
            He probably wanted to see if she'd even mention the low rate in the spiel. If not he would go whine to corporate. When he was told that the email promotion wasn't open to everyone, that's when his ass piped down cause he felt special. The reason why it hurts your brain is because it's a different level of entitlement at work there. Drama king mixed with expectant mind reading on whether he was a email recipient of that promotion or not. If he wasn't an email recipient and OP had of mentioned the special promotion in her spiel then we already know what road that would've taken her and other employees.

The way you mentioned is common sense but common sense isn't common to everyone. His method is like going into a store with a coupon and not telling the cashier he has one. When he sees the total he whips out the coupon angrily while asking the cashier why they didn't ask him if he had any coupons.

Customer level = certified moron.

Comment

Quoth Willis View Post
              Customer level = certified moron.
              I don't understand why you want to insult perfectly reasonable morons. What have they done to you. Why do you compare them to that..... being....?

Comment

I think call 3 was awesome. Love people who do that, almost all innocent like LOL.

But wtf was up with call 2? I guess you were supposed to tremble with excitement at the thought of her oh so important husband being in the same building as you huh? I'm betting she is the only person as impressed with who she married as she thought you should be.

And call 1, well, that just hurt my brain. Guy wanted a discount, for once guy had something actually entitling him to said discount but guy decides that he won't tell you he has this. UmmKay...

Comment

The one asking if you're at the call center...some answering services will tell you to lie and say that you're at the establishment in question.

Theat guy may have known that. Of course, I'm not real sure why he expected the answer to change....
                  Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 10-21-2013, 12:55 AM. Reason: clarity
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----
                  http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
                    The one asking if you're at the call center...some answering services will tell you to lie and say that you're at the establishment in question.

Theat guy may have known that. Of course, I'm not real sure why he expected the answer to change....
                    Right? If it's policy to lie to you, they're invested enough in the lie that they're not going to 'fess up just because you asked a magic number of times.

Comment

Working...
                    X