This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden acetaminophen

Saw this when browsing Consumerist. Considering the number of posts in "sickbay" over the past few months dealing with the dangers of acetaminophen overdose, I figured people might want to know about it. Most of these aren't the "usual suspects".
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

I detest the habit of the drug industry to add acetaminophen to so many different drugs - it can make life difficult for someone already sleep deprived from some damned rhinovirus to have to stop and figure out what has it, how much of it, and how much you can actually take before your liver is in danger of packing it in.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Wolfie. I usually read labels but if I was not feeling well in the first place, I might forget. I can't take Robitussin anyway, and Lortab makes me groggy, I won't take that either. This is a great reminder to always, always, double check labels, and ask questions at the doc's office and the pharmacy.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I was just prescribed a new (to me) painkiller, and of course I asked all kinds of questions, including asking if it has acetaminophen. I like to be informed. Fortunately, I don't take much acetaminophen, as it doesn't take down inflammation very well in my case. It's more for general aches, once in a while. I do read all labels. I like to know what goes in my body.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Saw this when browsing Consumerist. Considering the number of posts in "sickbay" over the past few months dealing with the dangers of acetaminophen overdose, I figured people might want to know about it. Most of these aren't the "usual suspects".
          This sort of thing is why (after a bad experience back in the 70s with a different drug interaction) I make a habit of generally *not* buying any over the counter stuff that has more than one active ingredient.

That way I don't have to worry about stuff adding up.

Only exceptions are the occasional benadryl-clone and when I need cough suppresants.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            Fortunately, I don't take much acetaminophen, as it doesn't take down inflammation very well in my case.
            It doesn't take down inflammation at all, as it isn't an anti-inflammatory. It is an analgesic and antipyretic--all it does is decrease/eliminate pain and reduce fever.

Non-steroid anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) that you can get OTC (over the counter) are ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) and naproxen (Aleve).

Aspirin is also considered an NSAID, but it does a lot of other things, too, and tends to cause more problems for more people than do ibuprofen and naproxen.
            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
              Non-steroid anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) that you can get OTC (over the counter) are ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) and naproxen (Aleve).

Aspirin is also considered an NSAID, but it does a lot of other things, too, and tends to cause more problems for more people than do ibuprofen and naproxen.
              In the UK Naproxen is Prescription except for 250-mg tablets which were approved for OTC sale under the brand name Feminax Ultra in 2008, for the treatment of primary dysmenorrhoea in women aged 15 to 50.

Naproxen can cause can cause gastrointestinal problems and did with my sister who was taking it long term.
              Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Quoth Bardmaiden View Post
                Naproxen can cause can cause gastrointestinal problems and did with my sister who was taking it long term.
                I was taking 400mg Naprosyn (prescription strength Naproxen) for almost 5 years, then discovered it was causing me to have severe acid reflux.

When you're having almost constant acid coming up and not only does it burn but you cannot stand up straight for long without doubling over, it's well past time to change the meds.

Right now I'm currently taking Etodolac (generic for Lodine XL) 400mg/2x a day for inflammation. So far I'm not having any issues with the reflux from that, thank Goodness.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Pretty much any anti-inflammatory is going to cause problems if you take it long-term. Aspirin and NSAIDs tend to cause GI problems. Steroids have a whole 'nother slew of problems.

Medicines do stuff to our internal chemistry, so of course they're going to be negative as well as beneficial effects.

Generally speaking, for occasional aches and pains from inflammation, ibuprofen and naproxen are safe for most people, which is why they are approved for OTC sale in the US.
                  Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Working...
                  X