This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You made my night!

I work in a drugstore. It's Monday night, football is on TV, and it's normally pretty quiet. Last night, I was on closing shift, as a floor person. This means I am supposed to be on the sales floor, putting out stock, covering breaks, straightening up the sales floor, and whatever else needs to be done. When I came in at 3:00, I was informed that one co-worker had called out, and the other was only scheduled until 8:00.

Okay, fine. That means I am on the register the entire night, no biggie. But no, tonight was even SLOWER than usual for a Monday night during football season. By 9:00, I had all my chores done, had waited on the TWO customers who had come in since 7:30, and was desperate for human contact (not to mention being bored out of my skull, since I can't really do anything that takes me more than 10 feet from the register).

In walks this couple. I greet them and they wander off to get their stuff. They come up to the register with the following items (this is important!): a bottle of wine, a bag of Halloween candy, nicotine replacement patches, dental floss, and "Cats Meow" - which is some As Seen on TV product for cats, I don't know!

They seemed friendly, so I thought I would chat them up a bit. As I'm ringing them up, I said "Yanno one of the ways we amuse ourselves here at night is to try to figure out/make up a story as to why people are buying the things they buy. But with you, I got nothing " They laughed, paid for their stuff and left.

About 5 minutes later, the phone rings. I do the spiel and the guy says "can I talk to the person on the front register?" I said "That's me" thinking ohno I did something wrong. He says "We came up with a story for our purchases for you!" : pause:

"Our cat is an alcoholic who is trying to quit smoking and when he succeeds, we give him candy, but then we have to floss his teeth." OMG I'm

I thank them profusely and told them they just made my life, not to mention my night, WAYYY better!!!!

So thank you, dear couple, you brightened up my night!

That was really sweet!
    I bet you made their night better too!
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Maybe slightly related to this topic, one day while cashiering at the Hardware Store around Valentine's Day, we had a Valentine Card display at/near the register.

Two guys come up with their purchases, and one says; "Who the hell would by a Valentine's Day card at a hardware store?

In one of my relatively rare moments of thinking on my feet, I replied; "This way you can tell her; 'See Honey, I think of you everywhere. Even at the Hardware Store!'"

Mike
      Meow.........

Comment

Thank you nice people who still see retail employees as people!

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
          Maybe slightly related to this topic, one day while cashiering at the Hardware Store around Valentine's Day, we had a Valentine Card display at/near the register.

Two guys come up with their purchases, and one says; "Who the hell would by a Valentine's Day card at a hardware store?

In one of my relatively rare moments of thinking on my feet, I replied; "This way you can tell her; 'See Honey, I think of you everywhere. Even at the Hardware Store!'"

Mike

Darling,I was at the hardware store.When I saw their mighty chopper,I thought of you...
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
            "Who the hell would by a Valentine's Day card at a hardware store?
            Hubs and I would actually find that pretty romantic. We filled vases with 3/8" hex nuts as part of the centerpieces for our wedding. (Speaking of which, does anybody want to buy 3,600+ 3/8" hex nuts? ) He's an aircraft mechanic and I was making jewelry out of hardware at the time. I freaking love hardware stores!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../Nelson133.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15.../Nelson132.jpg
            Last edited by thatcrazyredhead; 10-25-2013, 09:27 PM.
            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
            X