Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These are the people of K-Mart... (With bonus unrelated sighting!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These are the people of K-Mart... (With bonus unrelated sighting!)

My boyfriend (aka the Sturdy Nurse) and I managed to get roped into attending a Halloween costume party to be held tomorrow night by one of his coworkers, who has also invited most of the hospital staff and who is extremely insistent that everyone be in a costume. It's to the point that she has offered use of her sexy-time outfits to anyone who can't find a suitable costume of their own. God help me, but I volunteered to wear the French maid outfit if I couldn't find anything, but thankfully I decided to go as the Joker instead.

That left the Sturdy Nurse to find a suitable costume and as such, yesterday night we met another of his coworkers to go costume shopping. We stopped first at one of those pop-up Halloween shops, found nothing affordable, and trekked across the shopping center parking lot to the K-Mart there. After some searching, during which a great deal of giggling was involved, Sturdy Nurse chose a costume that can best be described as "sort of a Gothic Marie Antoinette, or something." Picture a squat, muscular black man with a goatee in a black and grey, lace-trimmed velvet gown with a high neck ruffle and you'll get the picture.

However, this horrified the eight or nine-year-old girl who happened to be in the costume aisle with us.

"Why are you dressing up as a girl?!" she asked, aghast.

"Because it's Halloween," we replied.

"That's not right," she replied.

We didn't care, and at that point, her mother called her away. Thinking nothing of it, we all headed over to the fitting rooms so he could try on the costume... where we ran into the girl and her entire family again.

"See?!" she said to her mother, "He's a boy and he's going to dress up as a girl!"

Sturdy Nurse ignored her and headed in to try on the gown.

"I'm a girl and I'm going to dress up as a girl," she said to the coworker and me, rather smugly.

At this point you could tell that the girl's mother had perhaps had a long day, because it was at this point she snapped at her daughter, "Stop being stupid, and leave those people alone!"

To her credit, she did leave us alone after that, but you could tell that the whole ordeal still just worried her terribly.

Bonus sighting! -- Today while I was in physical therapy, trying to get the use of my hand and wrist back, Sturdy Nurse witnessed a woman have a screaming meltdown at the front desk because she'd been booted out of the therapy pool. She'd been free swimming, you see, until a very selfish old lady and her therapist picked that inconvenient moment to come in and use the pool for some actual physical therapy.

If you even imagine.

"This place just caters to old people!" she screamed, and then there followed a long and involved discussion as to why she and her husband had chosen that particular pool and time to swim, and about how she just couldn't understand why they'd thrown her out when it was just that one old lady receiving therapy. It went on and on until one of the doctors got pissed off enough to emerge from his office (you know that was serious) and marched the screaming woman out of the building.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

If I had a daughter like that, I'd tell her to dress like a boy for Halloween, or not go trick-or-treating at all. Kudos to the mother for reining her in, though!
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

What saddens me is that little girl learned her distaste for him dressing up as a girl from SOMEONE. Not the mom apparently but someone. No one is born with those kinds of prejudices.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
        What saddens me is that little girl learned her distaste for him dressing up as a girl from SOMEONE. Not the mom apparently but someone. No one is born with those kinds of prejudices.
        Hopefully the little girl will grow out of that. At least her Mom was trying to get her to shut up and quit being obnoxious.

As far as the woman at PT: Nobody cares why you chose your particular time for "therapy" - once the session is over, out you go and let the next one have their time.

IE, see that big, yellow ball in the sky? That's called the sun . . . this is what the Earth revolves around, NOT you, so STFU.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Kids get the gender message everywhere though. We've always encouraged Khan to play with boys and girls, and have never discouraged him from watching 'girl' shows or reading 'girl' books or playing with dolls, but since he started preschool he's made comments like he doesn't want to play with girls or he hates girls.

Some kids get very upset when they see something that doesn't fit their sense of order. Like, one time at the library Khan was scribbling away on something and this little girl was about to lose her goddamn mind and hyperventilate because he wasn't staying in the lines. Good on her mom for stopping that crap.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Kids do have a strict sense of what is proper and what is not. Given her rough age, I'd say if she didn't learn it from her parents, she learned it from school or basically her peer group. I've had to step on my oldest about some of the crap he has said when he was young because of peer group behavior. Either way, mom stepped on her and that's all good.

Entitled swimming psycho needs to go back to preschool to learn to take turns in sharing. Except I wouldn't wish her on any preschool teacher...
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
              Entitled swimming psycho needs to go back to preschool to learn to take turns in sharing. Except I wouldn't wish her on any preschool teacher...

It is my opinion that everyone should have to have a day of remedial kindergarten every five years or so to maintain their kindergarten certificate. On that day they will share, take turns, say please and thank you, follow directions, wait in line, play with toys, hear a story, have a snack and take a nap. And no biting. All things that people could use a refresher on now and again. And although I feel I am reasonably proficient in many of those things...I want to play with toys, hear a story, have a snack and take a nap.

Quoth raudf View Post
              Kids do have a strict sense of what is proper and what is not.
              True, and this is not a bad thing, per se. Part of human psychology is the ability to group things together and identify them with labels. Little kids are learning how to do this and find order in the world around them. So then they lose their shit when something isn't RIGHT.

Now, I don't know enough about childhood development to know if a kid that age ought to have moved beyond that stage and into one where things aren't so black and white. It seems to me that she should be. But the good news is that she probably wasn't acting out of any actual gender role based moral outrage. More like the notion of a boy being able to wear a girl costume was completely new to her and it blew her little mind.
              My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

More like the notion of a boy being able to wear a girl costume was completely new to her and it blew her little mind.
                I think this is it. I remember being at a friend's house with my sister. Our friend's daughter was about eight or so at the time, and her Barbie and Ken dolls were lying there, so just to be silly, my sister put a dress on the Ken doll. Well, the little girl was all , saying he can't wear her dress, etc. She's now in her 20's, a great kid (well, to me 20's is a kid still!) and AFAIK, completely unprejudiced.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Whenever I see a gender-based story regarding children, I always think of this book:

http://www.gendercentre.org.au/resou...ilds-story.htm
                  "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I don't see the problem with dressing up as either gender, Halloween or not.

Even at my girliest I get called a man by some kids. And adults. that irritates me a tad more. Because OMG SHORT HAIR = MAAAAAN!

I always pick a male character for my costumes- I live in Canada and don't wanna freeze to death, for one.

(Pssst... this year I'm Ash J. Williams )
                    Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                      Picture a squat, muscular black man with a goatee in a black and grey, lace-trimmed velvet gown with a high neck ruffle and you'll get the picture.
                      Am I the only one who wants a picture?
                      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                        Am I the only one who wants a picture?
                        Nope. Not at all.

Comment

He'd kill me if he knew I was putting these up here...

Note the red cap in the foreground. Remember it. It belongs to a guy who dressed up as Mario.

Here we are watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I'm the one wearing the "Arkham Asylum Athletic Department" shirt. Ironically enough, one of the other party guests came as Batgirl.

And here is why you needed to remember Mario. Have you ever wanted to see Mario motorboating the fake boobs of a man dressed in drag? Yes? Well, you're welcome, then.

Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
                            More like the notion of a boy being able to wear a girl costume was completely new to her and it blew her little mind.
                            *nods* I'm thinking this too. When she was young, my niece would have blown a gasket if asked to wear blue, because it was a boy color. I broke her mind when I asked her how she could tell it's gender, since it didn't have male or female body parts... Blue has since become her favorite color, so I won. I guess.
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Oooooh Thank you! Great pictures of a great costume! And very ellegant accessorizing with the boots.
                              No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
                              X