This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL

Since my holiday a few weeks ago I've really got into NFL (which is suprising given my apathy to most other sports). I've pretty much decided which team I'm a supporter (Minnesota Vikings) because it was the first match I ever watched where I understood what was going on and enjoyed - is that enough of a reason for the die hard NFL fans or are there even more tenuous links out there?
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Quoth crazylegs View Post
    Since my holiday a few weeks ago I've really got into NFL (which is suprising given my apathy to most other sports). I've pretty much decided which team I'm a supporter (Minnesota Vikings) because it was the first match I ever watched where I understood what was going on and enjoyed - is that enough of a reason for the die hard NFL fans or are there even more tenuous links out there?
    It's a much better reason than "Their quarterback is hot".

I don't think there is anyone who would have a problem with that.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

As a long suffering Vikings fan, I feel sorry for you.

Now I'll go back into my corner and sob some more.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
        It's as good a reason as any. I'm a Redskins fan because I grew up in the DC area, and they won the Superbowl two years in a row when I was in high school. So even though they suck now, I'm still a fan.

I loved baseball when I was a kid, too. I didn't like the Orioles, but really got into the Yankees. I'm not much of a baseball fan these days, but would probably pick a new favorite based on how good I thought their game was.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

(Told to me by a vendor where I work the day after Halloween.)

"Man, I had a terrible night last night."
          "Why's that?"
          "I went to a costume party in Minneapolis."
          "What happened?"
          "I was dressed as the Lombardi trophy, and no one knew who I was."

Odd that the two teams mentioned here coincide with my life. I grew up in the D.C. area. But for some reason, I idolized Fran Tarkenton, and so was a Vikings fan. That was even the first game I ever went to - a Vikes / 'skins game. Two Superbowl defeats were too much for young me though, and even getting Fran back couldn't keep me from jumping ship to the Redskins, of whom I've now been a fan for 38 years, thick and thin.

So pick 'em however you want. I think the only time "real" fans get irked is when someone climbs on a winner's bandwagon, or calls themselves a fan of the closest team geographically without any knowledge about them. That goes for all sports, really.
          Last edited by sms001; 11-02-2013, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
            As a long suffering Vikings fan, I feel sorry for you.

Victory Sabre does have a point. The Vikings do suck.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I'm only a fan of the teams I am because of where I live or lived but I do watch the local and national coverage when I can and have a decent idea of what's going on. Not really a big fan of anything else so it's the only sport I really even follow.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Let me just say........

Uh....

Really????

Well, at least it's not the Bears, I guess. Could pick a publicly owned, much better team, though
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                  Let me just say........

Uh....

Really????
                  Don't be mean Someone needs to support the underdogs!
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I grew up watching Miami Dolphins and New York Jets. I feel the pain on sucking.

I prefer hockey over anything. Florida Panthers is my team (mostly cause Ft. Lauderdale is where I grew up) and New York Rangers next cause I was raised by a New Yorker.

Comment

There are days you mention being a Seattle Sports Fan and you go a lot pained looks. Granted our football is a lot better, just heart attack inducing. Now we have soccer.

But i have to think being a Mariners (baseball) fan is the ultimate in suffering. Most of us try to ignore it. Think we could trade them for basketball and hockey teams?
                      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post

This Packer fan is ready to join you.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          This Packer fan is ready to join you.
                          On a related note....

Comment

Working...
                          X