This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get out of the left lane then!

Driving to work at 55mph on the highway, I suddenly see the line of cars that had been passing me on the left hit their brakes. They start signalling and I let several merge in front of me. We're doing a good 60 in the right lane and I see what we're all passing. It's a middle-aged lady in a silver car, puttering along at about 45 in the LEFT LANE while drinking her coffee and fiddling with the radio or something. She seemed completely oblivious to her speed and was soon lost to my rear view mirror. Just one of those 'what the heck are you doing?' moments!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I see it all the time... people who get on the highway and immediately move all the way to the left and then drive well below the speed everyone else is going.

A related annoyance: The route I take to work involves a transition ramp from one highway to another that ends up becoming a new left-hand lane (highway goes from two lanes to three with the on-ramp turning into the new lane). It doesn't matter how many people are coming down the ramp, or how fast they are going, there is often a yoyo going 85-90 kph on the road being merged into who moves over on to that new lane the instant it becomes part the second highway -- directly in front of cars on the ramp that are already up to highway speed (110+ kph)
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

That's a huge pet peeve of mine. Also, the one who tootles along in the middle lane, well below the speed limit. I get that you may not be comfortable going that fast, but for hte love of whatever, MOVE OVER to the right lane.

I will admit, however, I did that once. But in my defense, I had to leave quickly for an 8 hour drive to my parents when my dad was dying, and it was dark. My night vision, esp on the interstate stinks. So while I would have preferred to be in the right lane, I needed t obe in the center, so I could see the lights on the lane lines on both sides of me. Thankfully, there wasn't a lot of traffic, but I still felt badly. and would get over to the right if someone came up behind me.

Comment

I don't care what speed you are going in the left lane. If there are people behind you who want to go faster, move over. My girlfriend used to do this. She'd be doing 65 in a 55 and refused to move right so people could pass her. Then she'd get pissed when people passed her on the right. She doesn't do it anymore. Her roommate though scares me. She'll be driving, stays in the left lane, talks with a cell phone glued to her head, and one second she'll be going 60, the next she'll be doing 85. And she won't move over for people to pass.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Yes, the old Nestoring problem. I give a little bit of leeway (not much, but some) to the oblivious Nestors, who just putter along without realizing they're backing up traffic.

The ones who are aware that people want to pass them, but persist in clogging up the passing lane? GET THE FUCK OVER.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

You can get pulled over for going too slow on a highway or interstate around here. Some even have minimum speed posted along with speed limit.
            A friend of mine is a horrible driver. Always nervous and drives to slow. She did get pulled over doing 45 in a 65. Appears that cops think going really slow especially late at night is a sign of dui. I don't let her drive anytime we are together. I try to save others the pain. Lol

Comment

There's actually a number of things that are good indicators of impairment. Driving too fast and too slow. Failure to maintain a lane. Failure to maintain a (more or less) constant speed. Driving with the windows down. Depending on speed, the lane choice made.
              But the paint on me is beginning to dry
              And it's not what I wanted to be
              The weight on me
              Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Coming home from the eye dr. one night. I had been there long enough that it got dark on my drive home. Which scared the beejesus out of me since I had trouble seeing the tailights of cars ahead of me, so I was going slow, then would stop, and start moving again. I KNEW I was driving like someone impaired, whcih I was, but only visually. I was so afraid I was going to get pulled over, and they'd see my dilated eyes and arrest me for DUI. Which is why I kept the bill from the dr. and my glasses prescription on the car seat next to me!

Comment

Don't get me started on elderly drivers. The ones I saw last week took a year off of my life.

The right lane is crawling but I have to stay in it as I'm exiting just ahead. I look up the row of cars in front of me and see an elderly couple barely moving. If we don't hurry cross traffic is going to be coming up and this exit has no merge space. Well, we don't make it as cross traffic is coming up. I get ready to stop for a long wait.

The old folks? Just keep going, and worse slowly drift across two through lanes to get in the left through lane. Cue the screeching of many brakes, a cacophony of horns and flashing lights and more than a few fingers and curses. I cringe as cars are dodging and skidding everywhere. I heard at least one crash and there may have been several given the suddeness of everything.

When I finally get out I stay in the right lane as (surprise, surprise) the left lane is crawling. I move up and pass the elderly couple - _still_ in the left lane, _still_ crawling along and having passed at least _three_ exits! People behind them are blowing their horns and flashing their lights but these two just stay where they are, completely oblivious to what's going on behind them.

I'm utterly shocked somebody didn't cut them off and beat the crap out of them. This is definitely a case where someone needs to lose their license...

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                    I see it all the time... people who get on the highway and immediately move all the way to the left and then drive well below the speed everyone else is going.
                    That is a pet peeve of mine, and I am usually a Zen dude.

Comment

Working...
                    X