This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not necessarily sucky just...wha?

Dear Discount Chain of Semi-Awesome with the guy from Modern Family In Your Commercials,

Playing "jazzy" "upbeat" Christmas carols mid-November does not change the fact that they are still Christmas carols. You are the ONLY STORE that is PLAYING THEM at the moment. Seriously. LAY OFF IT'S ONLY NOVEMBER!!!

Sincerely,
    FH.

(as for the Modern family guy, I believe it's Eric Stonestreet. How on EARTH he ended up in the commercials I have no idea, but he actually does a decent job)

The carols themselves aren't actually horrible arrangements and at least the singers can sing, but it's just....why?!
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Aw, c'mon - you already know why! It's to get a jump start on the annual consumer feeding frenzy collectively known as 'the holidays'. It's the same reason Christmas trees were in the stores in September. Yes, sir, retail just can't get enough of that holiday sales push. I figure inside of 20 years that the Christmas season will start in May. "Hurry hurry! Only 218 shopping days until Christmas! Buy this buy this buy this buy this buy this! Grandma got run over by a reindeer...."

And people wonder why I'm burned out on Christmas by Dec 1st. Bah f*cking humbug!

Comment

Perhaps there is a festive Thanksgiving mix that you can recommend?

Comment

Last week I was in the superstore from hell, waiting in line at the pharmacy. The woman in front of me in line and I passed several minutes complaining about the Christmas music blaring from the overhead. Can't we get through one holiday at a time, please?
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Only? I hit 3 stores on Nov. 1 that had already started... Not to mention the doctor's office.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I worked in a card store that played one of the local radio stations and they started playing Christmas songs on Halloween. I wish I was kidding.
            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

We've already had thanksgiving in October so its no surprise around here to hear Christmas music lol. Though I must say most stores haven't really started yet.

Comment

Our head office sent an email to all members of management in-store today... Apparently the feedback from customers is that the Christmas music is "too soon."

Ya THINK?!

Comment

And suddenly I'm very grateful that while our local Walmart has Christmas stuff out already, it's still fairly out-of-the-way and they're not playing Christmas carols yet. And up through Halloween, it was tucked back in the Garden Center while Halloween merch still had front-and-center display. At the moment, aside from some gift sets and similar (and the candy in Grocery's seasonal aisle), you have to go looking for the Christmas stuff.

Except for the cinnamon pine cones. Those are still out in the middle and smelling up the place.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
                    I worked in a card store that played one of the local radio stations and they started playing Christmas songs on Halloween. I wish I was kidding.

The one local contemporary Christian Station I listen to does that every Halloween. And it stops exactly at midnight on the 31st. I know cause I was driving home from work at that time. They won't start again until Black Friday.
                    "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Sorry, but I heard them in Woolworths yesterday!
                      "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                        The one local contemporary Christian Station I listen to does that every Halloween. And it stops exactly at midnight on the 31st.
                        Do they have a geek as a DJ? After all, to a programmer, 31OCT is the same as 25DEC.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                          Sorry, but I heard them in Woolworths yesterday!
                          My local Foodland (read: independent mom-and-pop-esque supermarket) has not started the carols yet. When they do though, they're actually fairly good about it.
                          What they'll do is they'll play the radio, then a Christmas carol. Then a few more songs on the radio, then a christmas carol.

Gradually by the time December rolls around, they are getting into full-on carol mode, but at the same time, they're not pissing off shoppers by playing carols on loop.
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            31OCT is the same as 25DEC.
                            Now if we could only find a way to squeeze 34 days into September....

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              Now if we could only find a way to squeeze 34 days into September....
                              10-4 on that, good buddy.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X