This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chronicles of Mytical

These are either A) Too short/ not enough remembered for a thread of their own. Or B) Ones I am not sure I have not already posted.

Fair warning : 1) My memory is swiss cheese, though I remember things happening a certain way, I can not guarantee they actually happened that way. They happened, but perhaps not like I remember them. So..my apologies in advance. 2) There is some weird things that go on in third shift. You have been warned. 3) These happened in two different stores. I will try to keep the stores straight, but read number 1.

Lets start with the small store that was owned by two local people. Lets call this store "Sam and Dean's" Now I worked for Wallyworld I think like 10 years ago.. and I worked for this store a few years before Wallyworld. It was a LONG time ago.

BG - On paper I was hired as a third shift Cashier, but that is not what I was. While I was the 'main cashier' I was a stock guy who ran the cash register. While running the register was my first priority, I also had to stock when things were slow. Yes that meant I could be in the far back of the store when a customer come in.. don't ask me what they were thinking. I mean I didn't just stock the front (cigs and such), but dairy, canned goods, whatever. I was FULL stock, not just front stock. *shrugs*. I was also one of TWO people who could run the register, the other was the stock manager. /end background.

Anywho. Lets start with the two I remember the most.

Mid summer, at night temps were running high eighties to mid nineties. Guy comes in wearing a very very heavy coat. Red flag goes up in my mind. Still he is not at the register, and until they head toward the register I have to stock..so I stock.

We get a flock of people from the prom, so I go up to start running the register. Who do I see leaving the shop? Mr Thick Coat. His coat however is now square where his stomach is. No lie. It was obvious. Guy had a case of either pop or beer (My bet was beer) under his coat. So .. I tell him to stop. He goes faster. I can't leave the till, nor could I actually physically stop him .. so there went an obvious shoplifter. Nothing I could do. For all this person's prep ... he didn't hide his theft attempt very well. I mean come on.. his stomach was SQUARE when leaving. Not a small square either. At least a 24 pack of SOMETHING was tucked under there.

Now, like I said .. we are not allowed to stop thieves. Even if we ourselves see what is happening. Only the stock manager (a stick of a man, but tough) had that authority. We were told 'No Touchy'.

Yes this is leading up to something crazy. I had just pulled stock from the back room to one of the isles, when the alarm on the back door goes off. Manager gathers everybody and orders us to split up and see if we can see what happened. He sends me all the way around to the back. Yeah, not only did he leave the store completely empty of people .. but since HIS boss had said 'no touchy' what the heck was I supposed to do if I had found somebody back there? If they say had a ski mask on, they could flash a ton of merchandise they stole and I could do what? Politely ask them to pay? Yeah... think about this one for a bit...
    Nobody IN the store to keep whoever walks in from walking out, and the people who can't do anything out looking for a thief. Brilliant!
    Last edited by Mytical; 11-18-2013, 03:50 PM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Not fair, leaving us hanging like that.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
      Not fair, leaving us hanging like that.
      Oh there will be more stories. Lots more, but sadly nothing came from the ones already posted. While I got a good look at Mr. Square Stomach the owner of the place never pressed charges, nor even called the cops when I let them know what happened as I didn't actually see them put anything into their coat. As for the second alarm story, since we never saw anything (I went from around the front toward the back, they were long gone) nothing came of that either. Who knows what they got away with.

Now for an EWWW moment. We had closed for the holidays and were doing an inventory at 'Sam and Deans'. I find a bottle of pasta sauce from 7 years ago (as in it's expiration date said it expired 7 years ago). This happened.

Me : Well me of course.
      Lucifer (Lets call him L) : My supervisor.
      Crowley (Lets call him C) :
      Bobby (Lets call him B) :

M - "Hey L, I found this in the back of the shelf, it's been expired seven years."
      L - "Ok, put it with the rest."
      M - "The rest which will go back on the shelf?"
      L - "Yeah."
      C - "Don't worry about it, just do it."
      M - "O..k"
      B - "It expired seven years ago?!"
      M - "Yeah."
      B - "Give it here, I will take care of it."
      M - *hands it over to B*

Nothing was said about it by them after, but you read that right. L and C had just wanted me to put it with everything else, where it would end up back on the shelf. So after everybody had left in the morning, I stuck around to talk to the owners.

M - Me again
      O1 - Owner One
      O2 - Owner Two

Before I could get a word out.

O1 - "B told us what went on last night, did you find anything else that had expired?"
      M - "I didn't, but who knows what else was found"
      02 - "We are doing inventory again tonight, you find anything set it aside and show us tomorrow morning."
      M - "Ok..but you know L and C wanted me to put that BACK on the shelf right? If they found anything expired, it might have gone back on the shelf."
      01 - *nods* "We are having B recheck everything they checked, we hired a couple of temporary people to help him. We will find it if so."
      02 - "We will also let them know that expired goods do NOT go back on the shelf."

That was the last I officially heard of it, but L and C did make my life miserable while I worked there from then on. (Which wasn't long, because the owners sold out and I found a better job).
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
        M - "Hey L, I found this in the back of the shelf, it's been expired seven years."
        L - "Ok, put it with the rest."
        M - "The rest which will go back on the shelf?"
        L - "Yeah."
        C - "Don't worry about it, just do it."
        So what would the Demonic Duo have done if someone bought that pasta sauce, got severe food poisoning and sued the store over it?! Good thing the owners were smarter than that.
        Quoth Mytical View Post
        That was the last I officially heard of it, but L and C did make my life miserable while I worked there from then on.
        Not surprising. Like ADeMartino found out, sucky bosses hate it when their misdeeds are found out. The take it out on the employee who "made them look bad" (regardless of the fact that they made themselves look bad!) and cause no end of grief for good workers. Glad you're out of there.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
        X