X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sucky pawn shops

Ohaider pawn shop.

I would like to buy these six blu-ray discs, here is my credit card.

Oh, you want to see my ID? Well... Okay.

Oh, you want to copy information off my ID? Gimme back my credit card.

Ohaider other pawn shop. I want to buy these two blu-rays.

Oh, you want to copy shit off my ID too? Fuck you, goodbye.

Yeah, I can understand wanting to check my ID and compare photos and names. I'll flash it on request. Copying information? Uh, no. Given my CC info, driver's license # and birth date, you're exposing me to significant risk of identity fraud. I had enough cash in my wallet to pay for the discs that way, but I was too pissed off to do so. Eh, that's one way to save some money.

Never heard of needing all that to BUY something at a pawn shop! Sounds fishy to me.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

It makes sense for selling. Not buying. But then again, I'm not a regular pawn shop customer.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I have never had a pawn shop ask to copy my ID... only place I've ever had ask to copy my ID was a hotel (which makes sense, if I destroy the room it gives them a way to track me down, and I could understand the same thing with other rentals also). Yeah, I'd say that something fishy was going on.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
          It makes sense for selling. Not buying. But then again, I'm not a regular pawn shop customer.
          I've been to a local pawn shop a time or two . . . at least the one I've done business with does keep a card on file with your information (name, address, phone, DL, DOB, etc) if you're selling or borrowing against.

But if you're buying, I'm not sure . . .
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

If there is a legal requirement to have the info on buyers, the method of payment should not matter. I agree with the others that it is fishy.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Used to hunt pawn shops for interesting used video games. Never had to present ID. Sounds fishy to me as well.
              "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
              - H. Beam Piper

Comment

I've had to have my information taken down when I sold some Blu-Rays a few weeks back, but I've never had to when simply buying them.

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
                  Used to hunt pawn shops for interesting used video games. Never had to present ID. Sounds fishy to me as well.
                  My brother goes into them all the time to look at what DVD's they have, he's _never_ been asked for ID when buying.

I agree, this sounds fishy...

Comment

I can think of one reason for them to do it and that's if the card comes back as fraudulent. Otherwise, I've never heard a pawn shop take information when buying an item.
                    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                      I can think of one reason for them to do it and that's if the card comes back as fraudulent. Otherwise, I've never heard a pawn shop take information when buying an item.
                      happens all the time in my state. i believe it's a legal requirement. i guess if the object is stolen it's easier to recover it. (never mind they have to hold it for 30 days anyway when they buy it)
                      The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

Comment

Working...
                      X