Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a new cell phone, finally...Any advice?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new cell phone, finally...Any advice?

As the thread title suggests, after having been without a working cell phone for however long, I'm actively considering getting a new one.

Obligatory Background (yes, I know I stole this from Seraph, LOL)

I used to have an old Tracfone that was given to me by my step-mother, and it was nice, for when I needed it, etc (this was while I was still living in Madison, btw)

Fast forward to a while back, now in Stevens Point: It's the end of a drumming circle, and I try making a call, only to discover that I can't (apparently, the system thinks I'm "roaming"), so now, I'm stuck with a phone I can't use.

I've recently begun looking into getting a new cell phone, and am considering all my options I have at this point (which aren't many, due to my budget)...Additionally, I've a few things in mind that I know I do NOT need (such as a built-in camera, or a data plan (C'mon, I have a desktop/camera for those things, ya know?)

So far, I'm considering US Cellular pre-paid (cheapest plan I know I can have is 400 minutes/texts/pics per month at $35 a month). Has anyone had any experience with prepaid from US Cellular? Should I keep looking around?

Straight Talk. You can get a phone & monthly $45 pre-paid card that has UNLIMITED calling, texting & internet access. That's what I use. I love it! You could check out either straighttalk.com or walmart.com. for the phones & plans.

Comment

It's my understanding that TracFone uses different networks in different parts of the country, depending on which network has the best coverage in each region. It could be that you moved to a location where the best network for Madison doesn't work where you are. If you were satisfied with the service you had been receiving from TracFone, you might want to check with them, explain what happened (including move from Madison), and find out if replacing the phone with a "local" one would work.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

This might be out of the OP's budget (and certainly has more features than was asked for), but is still interesting for people who want to minimise monthly costs by bringing their *own* phone to the party:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...hone-to-shame/

Comment

Working...
        X