This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another horror story at the express check out

Went to Publix again yesterday to get stuff for sandwiches, which was ham, turkey, lettuce, cheese and bread. Five things, that's all. I again got to the ten items or less line when Frozen Pie Crust Lady had to race and beat me there, with this ensuing:

FPCL (Frozen Pie Crust Lady): Excuse me (to C, the cashier), I have these two frozen pie crusts here.

C: Yes, maam (and take into account, FPCL has not begun unloading her cart yet)

FPCL: Well, I need to know if these are good for making quiche.

C: I'm not really sure. I have never made one before

FPCL: I need to know. Are you sure you don't know if this is good for quiche?

C: I haven't ever made one, so I'm not sure.

FPCL: Are they good for making apple pies? I just love baking those.

C: I could not say. (My guess is C probably isn't much of a baker herself, but is being polite to FPCL).

FPCL: I really need to know. The bottom of these crusts look awful thin. Do you think they might break while in the oven? (And she still has not unloaded anything from her cart so C can start scanning)

By this time, I gave up and went to another line that had one person with about fifteen items, but was checking out. The cashier there took care of me, and as I was gathering my bags, FPCL was still at the register, talking to C, although it did look like she had finally unloaded her stuff.

I wish these people would read "express check out" when they enter these lines, and stop deciding to race other people who have it together and simply want to check out, not ask a bunch of stupid questions and hold others up.
    Last edited by greensinestro; 12-06-2013, 03:38 PM.

Gord yes, I hate people who ask stupid questions at the register. That's what the service desk or the employees wandering the store is for. I wish cashiers were allowed to levy a tax on people who did that; maybe per question, per second wasted, or per gesture (for those who think that touching the cashier is a way to get help).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
      FPCL: I need to know. Are you sure you don't know

What kind of question is that? Yes lady, the cashier is holding back her vast knowledge of baking from you. Sheesh. Who holds up a line to ask the cashier a zillion questions about pie crust anyway? Wouldn't you think some in the bakery department might be a better person to ask?

Comment

I can just see the thought process now:

.o0(The cashier works in a grocery store, so they must be experts in cooking!).

Time for her to learn the ancient art of Google-Fu, and spare checkout lines everywhere.
        A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

FPCL (Frozen Pie Crust Lady): Excuse me (to C, the cashier), I have these two frozen pie crusts here.
          I also forgot to mention the fact that this woman apparently thought the cashier was not intelligent enough to tell what this woman had in her cart.

Comment

Hell, when I worked at a grocery store, I was a bright eyed, bushy tailed 16 year old. I was only a conoisseur of Top Ramen, there was no way I knew what kind of pie crusts were good for baking.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Well, stores could always have a "Stupid Questions Desk" up front, along with a list of fees for its use. The only problem with all the stupid people being, by definition, they don't know they're stupid >_>
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If it were me, I'd probably respond with "I don't know. I prefer to make mine from scratch, it tends to taste better" before shooting her a big smile....that would turn into a sh*t-eating grin when she next looked away.
                Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Ah, quiche. Very clever dinner. Appetizing food fit neatly into interesting round pie.

C: Yes, maam (and take into account, FPCL has not begun unloading her cart yet)

FPCL: Well, I need to know if these are good for making quiche.
                  My answer to this would be a kinda-sorta-but-not-really sarcastic "Yeah, kinda."

I mean, they are pie crusts, they are designed by the manufacturers to hold various ingredients as one might use to make a pie or a quiche, what else does she need to know?
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

When I was a cashier in my teens at a major local hardware chain in my area at the time (not the obvious ones people know), I can't recall being asked much about products. If I or any others were asked we'd either page someone from that department who would know way more than the cashier would or direct that person to that department if they wished. I don't see how some people can't grasp the concept that employees on the floor know more about products from their own departments than a cashier would.

Comment

Believe me, they can't grasp it. Back when I worked at the pet store within the garden centre, I kept getting morons coming up to my till and asking me questions about different plants, garden furniture etc... well aware that this was the fucking pet store so why the hell would the pet store manager know anything about plants, save the vegetable matter she fed to the rabbits?!

I used to try and direct them to the relevant section, but most of them came out with this gem: "Oh, but I can see you're not busy," when I was either a) having my coffee break or b) writing out order forms or unpacking a delivery.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

I get questions about every department when I'm babysitting SCO.

You're standing near the florist display? You must know all about each type of flower in the store (or other stores)!

Cleaning up a milk spill? Do you have any half-and-half in the back?

Returning some meat? I want a pound of some deli salad, slave! But I don't know what I want!

Just told someone where marshmallows are? I demand you show me where [item at other larger store, which we likely don't even carry] is!

As per ASM, I'm not supposed to leave the SCO area at all...yet I'm also expected to 'provide good customer service' and if that means leading an SC by the nose to something I'm to do it (and then get grumped at for leaving the area) Although, depending on who's running the front I can often get away with telling them no.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          You're standing near the florist display? You must know all about each type of flower in the store (or other stores)!

Cleaning up a milk spill? Do you have any half-and-half in the back?

Returning some meat? I want a pound of some deli salad, slave! But I don't know what I want!
                          Happens to me all the time when I'm returning a perishable item to the produce department...at least one customer will stop me and ask where something is or to inquire about a price, and all I can do is inform them that I don't work in that department and try to find a fellow employee who does (and, half of the time, there is no produce employee available at that precise moment). Doubly annoying if I have to go to the produce department or frozen section to exchange an item for a customer, and then get sidetracked by another customer asking where something is/the price/"oh, can you reach that for me?", meaning the first customer has to wait...and wait...and wait until I get back (not to mention everyone else waiting in line).

Comment

Working...
                          X