Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I ever decided to play the lottery (I don't play it) on a jackpot that big, and actually won, I'd want the lump sum.

The next thing I'd do is change my phone numbers. Then I'd probably quit my job.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I'd accept it anonymously.

Then I'd shove most of it in term deposits for six months or so, while I calmed down.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

Then I'd shove most of it in term deposits for six months or so, while I calmed down.
        Great idea. I would also do whatever I could to accept the money anonymously. I wouldn't want people showing up at my doorstep.

"I need $10,000."

"Can you give me $2,500?"

"I need to buy a car. Can you give me $30,000?"
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          Great idea. I would also do whatever I could to accept the money anonymously. I wouldn't want people showing up at my doorstep.

My theory, should I win, is: If you're not already in my phone, we're not close enough for me to give/lend you money.
          Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            In most states you can't accept anonymously. As a way to keep things honest, most lotto organizations are required by law to post winners publicly. I guess the original idea was so people could make sure the lotto commission wasn't stacking winners with their buddies, or some such, but the long effect is that every scammer and wanna-be sponge gets to know who got the big money
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
              My theory, should I win, is: If you're not already in my phone, we're not close enough for me to give/lend you money.
              Yep, which is why if I ever won such I would immediately buy a private island, move to England where nobody knows me, or otherwise move and give nobody a forwarding address or phone number. I'd then hire somebody to do my shopping, so that I would have to go out very little. I would also do so in a 'disguise'. Besides that I would live a low key life. A modest house (nothing over $125k), modest car (new, but mid price range..not luxury), and the like. I would start some businesses, but hire 'faces' for the business so that I would be a silent owner .. or even work somewhere in the back so people would think somebody else owned the place.
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I talked to a family friend once who said a way around that "must disclose" rule is to set up an LLC and accept the winnings for that "business", then, immediately close it. It means the "public" information that goes out will soon be useless to anyone who tries to phone/mail/email you requests for money because their calls/mail returned as useless. True, anyone who really wanted to can still track you down, but, your average freeloader doesn't have that level of gumption, else they wouldn't be freeloaders.

Alternatively, he said he could set up a charity to receive it, and just deflect all requests for money to the "board of directors" for that charity (i.e. him and his lawyer), again, won't stop the freeloaders, but it will provide you with an easier way to get rid of them. "Talk to the board, I have things to do today, sorry".

Now, IANAL, I have no idea if these would work, but, hey, food for thought for all you junior attorneys out there.
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

f I ever won a big sum like they get to... I would give money back to the places that have helped me in the past, my family, and then buy an RV and disappear.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                    If I ever decided to play the lottery (I don't play it) on a jackpot that big, and actually won, I'd want the lump sum.

The next thing I'd do is change my phone numbers. Then I'd probably quit my job.
                    That would be me. Take the lump sum so I can only pay out taxes one time, shove it into a savings account and walk out of the Litter Box. Then Mom can go ahead and buy her handicapped accessible van, I can get my truck and have the Toyota completely redone and repainted.

Then hire a real estate agent to help me find a house with a few acres of land outside of town, built a tall fence around it with an electric gate and live quietly with my Mom and brother.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                    X