Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No show, no call! Since when did this become an acceptable way to quit?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth sstabeler View Post
    that's not the kind of NCNS that is the problem- the complaint is about NCNSes that lave your co-workers having to pick up the slack at short notice. With the door-to-door selling job, it wouldn't affect you co-workers.
    I did feel sorry for the rest of the new starters who looked like they'd been taken in by the sales patter.

Comment

My dad had a bookkeeper, R, for his insurance agency (back in the mid '80's) who pretty much quit mentally first. My mom (who can't balance a checkbook to save her life) could tell there was something seriously amiss. An example: R made multiple payments to the same vendor in sequential checks. R also didn't record half of the payments, so mom made a friend at the bank who helped her recreate these simple records.

R also was NCNS for a week and Dad received a call from a firm in Indiana, about R. Seems she was looking elsewhere.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I've never just quit a job with no notice but if I won the lottery I would, but I would ring and tell them! I do work for a large airline with thousands of crew so I doubt my loss would be noticed!

Comment

Quoth Air_Stewardess View Post
          I would, but I would ring and tell them!
          So would I. From Tahiti.

Comment

Yeah, so we had this happen again. Since then, we've hired two new housekeepers with the express understanding that they are both part time with the possibility of more hours. This way, if one of them flakes, we'll be fine. The one almost got fired in the first week she was with us already by having a nasty mouth on her.

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
              she was complaining about 6-hour days? why? that's a pretty short shift... (full time is 9 hours, so unless it was interfering with another job/school...)
              It depends on the situation. I used to work a job that was a considerable distance from home. When I started there the shift was 10 hours with a paid lunch. Four days a week was fine with me. Then they got the brilliant idea of changing it to five eights - that meant another day of driving to and from - a 25 percent increase in the amount of fuel I was using each week - so I was actually bringing home less. Still, it didn't get bad until they decided to cut payroll by implementing a 5x6 schedule. A quarter fewer hours on top of the additional weekly mileage?

Thank you, no, consider this to be my two week notice. Oh, you want me to leave NOW? Awesome.

Comment

ADeMartino

She lived 15 mins away on a bad day. The pay was 12 a hour. Lunch was usually offered to the employees. If you didn't want that there were a ton of choices.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                  ADeMartino

She lived 15 mins away on a bad day. The pay was 12 a hour. Lunch was usually offered to the employees. If you didn't want that there were a ton of choices.
                  that's just ridiculous. I'd be all over a gig like that - even if I absolutely loathed the work.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                    The third just didn't bother to show up for four days then suddenly showed up out of the blue thinking she still had her job.

I've known people to do that. And then they're shocked like nothing happened.

Comment

One time, my boss thought I NC/NS'd.

I got a strange call from my Dad while I was out. Then I called the boss. Turns out he had forgotten I had scheduled PTO for that day and was worried I might've had a wreck or something. He found the email paper trail (every PTO request generates one here) right as I called him.
                      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

otakuneko, yeah that's one of the reasons it pisses me off when people do that. I'm not heartless and I don't want anything bad to happen to any of our employees. But if you're doing a NS NC just to be an ass, then I'm pissed.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post

I was somehow in the timeclock system but NOT on the printed schedule (which is created from system entries, so that 'mistake' could not have happened unless someone had put me in that morning...which also should not have happened).
                          At my store, the printed schedule is what we go by, and last-second "revisions" are not allowed, or at least strongly discouraged.

Otherwise they could've gotten me on a NCNS one day last week when I was scheduled for my normal 5 am to 1 pm shift, but also somehow wound up on the front-end schedule for a 2 to 6 shift doing carryouts. Only the 5 am shift was on the printed schedule, so they couldn't hold me to 2 to 6.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I've only done it once in my time - as documented here.

If I do get the job I've applied for, I'm so tempted to do this though. I'd never, because it's assish, but oh god I want to so so bad.

Comment

Working...
                            X