This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in building an app

Yes, I'm building an app. It just seemed like a good idea. And it's one that doesn't exist, at least not on Google Play.

So, I'm looking for advice. I built a very simple app with MIT App Inventor, which is all well and good. Now I'm looking for something bigger. I need images. I need a map and compass. I need GPS.

What do I do? Where do I find these things, and what is the best way to use them?

Android has mapping and location functionality built in, so you just have to find the right APIs to use them. As for images, Google Image Search is your friend.

I have no idea whether "MIT App Inventor" is flexible enough to make that easy, though. To make an app really do what you want, you usually need to know how to code. Helper tools can only go so far.

Comment

Android is based on Java. For the most powerful (and likely least easy) coding, you'll likely want to code directly in Java.

Comment

Hmmmm..... how easy is it to learn Java?

Comment

You might want to give PhoneGap a look. It can produce apps that work across platforms, and has a service that lets you compile for iOS without the need of a Mac. Programming in it is mostly HTML5, so it should not be nearly as hair pulliningly arduous as having to learn Java (and if you want to produce an iOS version, whatever is used on that platform).
          But the paint on me is beginning to dry
          And it's not what I wanted to be
          The weight on me
          Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
            Hmmmm..... how easy is it to learn Java?
            Have you used *any* programming language before? If so, you already know the most fundamental concepts and can adapt. If not, you'll have to learn the fundamentals before you can get anywhere.

Have a look to see if MIT App Inventor has an export-to-Java feature that lets you see the code it produces. Read it and see if you can work out what's going on in some of the code. Try to recognise things that you've implemented.

Comment

No, I've never used any programming language before. PhoneGap, though it looks very comprehensive, also appears pretty advanced. Decisions, decisions...

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                No, I've never used any programming language before. PhoneGap, though it looks very comprehensive, also appears pretty advanced. Decisions, decisions...
                Java can have quite the learning curve.

Though, if you are really interested in learning, there are a wide number of tutorials on the web. There's also an Android tutorial.

That said, I think I would probably suggest what someone else did, and suggest you check out PhoneGap. Though, I think with that you'll still probably have to know some markup (HTML, probably) as well as some scripting (JavaScript, I think).

And as a side note, JavaScript is not Java. Many novices make the mistake of thinking that they are the same thing, or that JavaScript is a subset of Java.
                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Lookie what I just came across...

https://www.coursera.org/course/andr...id-001%2Fclass

Comment

That's great! Is there any way I can learn the basics of Java before the course starts?

Comment

If you've never programmed in a language before... Probably not. :/

Comment

What about this site?

http://andromo.com/

Comment

It's just another "app builder" with fundamental limitations. Don't be fooled by the blurb that says "produces native code" - it's still limited by the framework which generates the code.

This is more like what you should be looking for: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/...ogramming-2014

Comment

Also, check out Lifehacker from time to time. They have articles on how to learn how to code, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X