This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target Got Me

As much as I love Target as opposed to Wal Mart and other places like that, they got me. I go there probably three times in a YEAR because they're kinda out of my way. Unfortunately, as many of you probably heard, if you shopped at Target (In the U.S.) between Black Friday and December 16th: Guess what? Your card number has been stolen and you need to change your card and if you paid debit, get a new PIN, etc etc etc. Oh and God help you if you paid with a RED Card (Target's credit card).

Well. I went on the 9th to get some toys for Toys for Tots and an xmas gift for my Dad.

Awesome. My credit union has, at my request, made my card invalid and I'm back to writing checks and paying with the 60 dollars in cash I pulled out.

The biggest suck here isn't even with Target--it's with me! I cancelled my card on a Saturday night not realizing that I couldn't get another one issued by my CU until MONDAY at 8am. I only did so because I was going to check my account for any odd purchases but the system was "down for maintenance" and I got frustrated and just cancelled the card.

Well, at least the gas station takes checks...

I also made purchases at Target while their security was breached. So far I haven't noted any fraudulent activity on my card, but I'm keeping an eye out. I plan to have them issue a new card for me in January, when the clamor should have died down.

Comment

Same here. I used my check card as a credit card so they didn't get my PIN number just the three digit number on the back that the CSR entered. I'm going to the ATM then I'll call and request a new number that way at least I'll have some cash while I wait the two weeks or so to get the new card.
      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Even if your account has not been compromised, you should be receiving a replacement card with a different number as a security precaution. Keep an eye on your mail for anything from your bank/credit card company, and don't assume any unexpected envelopes are junk mail/sales solicitations.
        Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Is it the 16th? I've been seeing the 15th just about everywhere. I'm like Gaki, I don't shop at Target all that often, but they were the only place that had the Pecan Pie Pringles that I bought for a friend as part of her Christmas gift. I know she's a bit unhappy since she does shop there often.

I'm keeping an eye open, just in case. I went there on December 16th, but I may just request yet another card. It would be my 2nd one this year. Earlier a local grocery store was part of a giant hack that affected 2+ million people in the area and surrounding states (because they are in a few other states besides Missouri).
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

This will be third time this year on a card replacement. First time, the card just wore out and broke. Second my hosting company had all of their stored hashes and details compromised. Now, both mine AND the wife's card got hit with this target breech. Gah... yet again, I need to go through and change out cards. I am not a happy camper, and target's response is just insanely inappropriate.
            But the paint on me is beginning to dry
            And it's not what I wanted to be
            The weight on me
            Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

I've shopped at Target during the times card data was supposedly stolen, but I'm a huge "cash is king" guy so no card-funded transactions. I double-checked after the news came out.

Have to imagine it's absolutely CRAZY with all the people affected and needing new cards.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

So far ive had two customers that got caught up in that. Scary stuff

Comment

I'm not sure what to do. I only ever use my Target checkcard at Target to get the discount, or on the rare occasion, cash. My concern is that it's connected to a checking acct I can't close right now. I guess I'll have to log on and check it every day.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    I'm not sure what to do. I only ever use my Target checkcard at Target to get the discount, or on the rare occasion, cash. My concern is that it's connected to a checking acct I can't close right now. I guess I'll have to log on and check it every day.
                    Your bank should have some sort of procedure to close/reopen an account due to fraud, regardless of why you can't close the current account. One of the more boring parts of my old job at MajorBank was dealing with fraud closures. It was boring because it was so routine. The only thing we couldn't close an account through was government freezes.
                    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
                      and target's response is just insanely inappropriate.
                      Not a US resident: what's this insanely inappropriate response?
                      Inquiring minds want to know.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        Not a US resident: what's this insanely inappropriate response?
                        Inquiring minds want to know.
                        They have refused to cancel all of the RED Cards as a precaution, have merely "announced" that 40 million accounts were stolen, and have advised that members monitor their accounts for fraudulent purchases and report them. They have not advised closing the RED Cards (Why would they? That's how they get customers coming back.) and have not provided enough customer service to keep the hordes happy. Even their seasonal amount of phone reps is not enough to handle the flood of phone calls to cancel RED Cards.

They've done a pretty horrible job of calming the masses and have made it really really really hard to cancel your RED Card. Some claim to have been on the phone on hold for over 45 minutes and then become disconnected.

But then...we all know about SC time.

Good news though: I was informed today by my Credit Union that they have set up a special channel for all of the members who have been affected by the Target thing and they automatically sent out new cards for me as opposed to me having to jump through hoops to try to get them! Woot! Apparently that is not a normal thing (auto cards) but if you happen to mention that you're part of the Target hack, they put through an automatic card reissue.

Comment

Monitor your accounts? If your data was stolen it could take a while before anybody tries any funny business with your accounts. That data could end up being sold on the black market instead of being transferred to a card and used right away.

Had I used a card to pay for stuff at Target, I'd be cancelling the card and getting a different one post haste.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

http://consumerist.com/2013/12/23/ev...card-disaster/

Sounds like their attempts at damage control are failing miserably...

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              Monitor your accounts? If your data was stolen it could take a while before anybody tries any funny business with your accounts. That data could end up being sold on the black market instead of being transferred to a card and used right away.

Had I used a card to pay for stuff at Target, I'd be cancelling the card and getting a different one post haste.
                              My credit card issuer has told people not to panic, but it would honor requests for new cards - it is still assessing the situation, so no word yet if they will automatically recard everyone. If I had used my debit card, I would have been on the credit union's doorstep/phone the next day to shut it down. That's why I don't use a debit card I hear the lines at my CU were very long the day after the initial announcement.
                              Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                              At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Working...
                              X