This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    we absolutely do not use the phrases which just might happen to bear a passing similarity to either "Beyond Rounded Fruit Holder" or "The Large Play Activity" in our paper, on ads, on our website, etc...If we're not quoting the owners of the event in question directly, they're very expensively off-limits.
    The Sporting Event Based On A Similarly-Named Event Originally Held In Ancient Greece had a similar policy in the UK (although I don't know if it worked on this side of the water). One of the papers over there started referring to the event as VoldeSport: the sporting event that must not be named.

Comment

Speaking of which my favorite team is a Feline too...from UK. No, not the kind of UK with the Union Jack. And the team plays that sport with the orange ball.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        As I am a diehard fan of the Deadskins, I have long since lost any interest in football.
        I know that feel. The 'Skins aren't helped by who they have as an owner.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Not big on NFL, but as a long-sufferin' *until this year, HOORAY!* Pirates fan, I assure you, I know what it's like to see several Presidential Administrations come and go without the team winning......

And that's with an ownership that was arguably TRYING! Not Jerry Jonesin' it!
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            Not big on NFL, but as a long-sufferin' *until this year, HOORAY!* Pirates fan, I assure you, I know what it's like to see several Presidential Administrations come and go without the team winning......
            Not an NHL fan, but the last time the team in my (current) hometown won the Cup, I was wearing diapers. Some people my age have grandchildren - and it's theoretically possible for someone my age to have great-grandchildren.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

From what I've seen of it,it's a lot of men running round very fast crashing into each other for 30 seconds,then they stop,have a wander around and a chat and then begin again.
              Having said that,girlies in team kit(especially tight team kit) are very cute *hint*
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

My wife at first dismissed basketball (even though she's from the place that has the team that likes green and shamrocks) saying that it's just a bunch of men running around back and forth and back and forth and back and forth... But she now watches it with me though she's irratted by the rule about the difference between a defensive blocking foul and an offensive charging foul...she's not satisfied with the explanation about planting the feet (hey it worked for Whoopi Goldberg in the Eddie movie! ).

Comment

The closest teams to me when I was growing up was The Striped Large Felines and The Color that rhymed with Clowns. Maybe that was why I never got into sports. The one Stuper Bowl the Striped Large Felines got into, they fell apart 2 minutes before games end. I am not even sure the others ever even made it (and don't really care). So the mystifying response to wins and losses I might never understand.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Is it just me or are we being silly in just not naming the dam teams? It's not like they are going to come on here and bash us.

Comment

Especially to those of us on this side of the pond who aren't familiar and have to try and work them out....

Shrimps? Stallions? Lynxes?
                      Last edited by Kit-Ginevra; 01-09-2014, 01:21 PM. Reason: to add little confuseded face
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                        Is it just me or are we being silly in just not naming the dam teams? It's not like they are going to come on here and bash us.
                        Well, yeah. The best things in life are silly. (...and, occasionally, sily or sely. Cookies if anyone figures out WTF I'm talking about; google will likely be of little help )

In the exceedingly unlikely event that someone from the NFL drops by here, tho, they are exceedingly hardcore about enforcing their trademarks (which they need to be -- that's how trademarks work. Enforce them or lose them). It's not like this site is unknown outside of retail/worker circles, ya know? Besides, it's kinda fun to come up with obfuscatory euphemisms.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Besides, it's kinda fun to come up with obfuscatory euphemisms.
                          I thought that's the reason we were doing it. There's certainly nothing libelous here, and mentioning them in passing certainly falls well under "fair use."

GO Racialslurs!

Last edited by sms001; 01-09-2014, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X