This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closes at 6 means not open

Hubby went to Lowes yesterday. An announcement was made that the store would be closing at 6 since it was New Year Eve. There are big sliding doors on one end with "ENTER" written in huge letters. The big sliding doors several yards down have "EXIT" in huge letters. At 10 minutes to close the enter doors were locked and a woman was standing by the exit doors. Hubby was standing in line and noticed every time a customer would exit a couple more would walk in. The woman was positioned so that the people leaving were between her and the customers sneaking in. So these SCs that found the enter doors locked and a sign taped to the door stating close at 6 just walked straight to the exit doors and went in anyway. Finally a manager came over and told the woman watching the exit to lock the doors and let each customer out individually to stop the SCs sneaking in. Guess Lowes workers do not deserve to have New Years Eve off.

Quoth mosspack1 View Post
    Guess Lowes workers do not deserve to have New Years Eve off.
    Not according to SC's apparently.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

What the hell does someone needs at Lowe's on New Year's Eve anyway?? Arrgh...people...!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        What the hell does someone needs at Lowe's on New Year's Eve anyway?? Arrgh...people...!
        That's actually one of the few stores I could give a slight pass on this behaviour for (obviously not for the number of customers the OP described), only toilet in the house spontaneously broke, fuses on the panel blew with no spares, heating element went out on the hot water tank, etc etc; these are not things I'd like to live without for a couple days until the stores open, or pay outrageous new years eve emergency plumber/electrician rates to have fixed.
        Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

If that's the case, then call an emergency plumber. Sorry, but closed equals closed, and the people who work in that store want to go home. Given that logic, the store should be open all day, every day.

Also, there are worse things to happen, such as the people living in a small town near me who were flooded to buggery on Christmas Day and spent the whole holiday (some people are still without power even now!) with no means of heating their house, lighting it, or cooking.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
            If that's the case, then call an emergency plumber. Sorry, but closed equals closed, and the people who work in that store want to go home.
            I did say a slight pass, and yes I agree, if the front door is locked no one needs to be sneaking in through the exit trying to avoid employees notice, because the employees should get to go home on time.

I was just thinking this was a store I could see me playing race the clock with at the last minute to try to get to on a holiday eve.
            Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
              That's actually one of the few stores I could give a slight pass on this behaviour for (obviously not for the number of customers the OP described), only toilet in the house spontaneously broke, fuses on the panel blew with no spares, heating element went out on the hot water tank, etc etc; these are not things I'd like to live without for a couple days until the stores open, or pay outrageous new years eve emergency plumber/electrician rates to have fixed.
              Of course in those emergency situations, the person in the situation will usually look for a worker to try and find exactly what they need as soon as possible. And I'm sure most workers (and people in general) can recognize true desperation from "It's 6PM NYE, and I want to browse to get ideas for a new deck I might build in the spring," shopper. The desperate shopper will often get the pass. The browser should rightfully be locked out.

Comment

Quoth mosspack1 View Post
                \ Guess Lowes workers do not deserve to have New Years Eve off.
                But the inconsiderate and eleventy self centered SC's do!

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  If that's the case, then call an emergency plumber. Sorry, but closed equals closed, and the people who work in that store want to go home. Given that logic, the store should be open all day, every day.
                  Not to mention that not a whole lot of places are actually closed on New Year's Day anymore....
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                    The desperate shopper will often get the pass. The browser should rightfully be locked out.
                    Some years back, a friend and I were at Canadian Tire at closing time on Christmas Eve. We were lined up at the cash, and somebody who told the worker at the door that all they needed was a pair of 40 amp cartridge fuses was told "Nope, we're closed". Why did they need that particular item? The fuses for their stove had blown, and they needed to cook Christmas dinner.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Sadly, a line has to be drawn sometime, or else the store would never close. Also, as I'm sure a lot of us know, whenever a store closes, there's more to do than simply locking up and leaving. When I worked in the garden centre, I used to close the pet store half an hour earlier than the rest of the store for the simple reason that I had tons to do before I could leave. I had to check all the animals, make sure that they all had plenty of food and bedding, fill their water containers up to the brim, cover them up if winter, and do a last tidy up. I had to cash up my till and send the money up the chute. I had to do a final check for anything out of place, and then switch everything off. All this I had to do while being harrassed by bloody customers who had lost the ability to read and tell the time, and who wanted to be served now despite having had the whole day to come in, but instead chose to come in at the time when I was closing the pet store.

So a store worker who tells a last minute person "No sorry, we're closed" might have yet half an hour or more to go til he can go home, even after the last customer leaves. I have all sympathy for that person who ends up with a fuse blown, or out of light bulbs etc, but sadly, that's the sort of shit that sometimes happens and you've got to live with it. Back when I was a kid, all the central heating went in my parents' house at a time when all the shops were closed and it was too late to call anyone out to fix it. We filled up dozens of hot water bottles, put on two portables and suffered thruout the evening and night wrapped in blankets til the following Monday, when a man finally came in to fix it. Shit happens. There's no sense in blaming the engineer or the hardware shop cashier.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                      X