Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, either it's an army thing or he's weird...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, either it's an army thing or he's weird...

So a friend of mine is in the army. Apparently they're required to be clean-shaven (he's not part of a religion that requires him to keep a beard btw).
    It seems to have become a tradition that whenever he goes on leave, that he forgoes shaving altogether . (this does not count when he's off-base, he lives off-base with his fiancee)

Anyone else with defence force husbands/relatives/friends do this? Or is it just my friend?

Oh and he plans on comparing his "leave beard" with a platoon buddy when he gets back
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

If memory serves then the clean shaven in the army is to ensure a tighter fit for gasmasks

Comment

Quoth Kazim View Post
      If memory serves then the clean shaven in the army is to ensure a tighter fit for gasmasks
      I was referring to the beard growing.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

It sounds like something they'd do - if you have to shave every day when you're at 'work', it's a good lazy thing to not shave at all when you're on holiday!
        I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Navy does it too - although you can occasionally pay MWR committee on the boat on a long cruise to buy a no shave chit to grow a beard as long as it gets shaved before a port call. Rob used to keep a fairly good mustache all the time and do the beard thing on leave or with a no shave chit. Somewhere we have a picture of he and his dad on a tiger cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Groton with both of them in beards.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I don't know, but I LOVE beards. Well, not Duck Dynasty beards. Trimmed beards.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My hubby has to shave for work. When on vacation or more recently on medical leave he does not shave. I hate it. But, what can I do?

Comment

The times, they are a changing. 10 years ago, someone would have said "ZZ Top" beards rather than "Duck Dynasty" beards. Ahh, cultural memes...

Comment

The majority of my Navy coworkers would grow some type of beard during leave.

Comment

I work with police who have to be clean shaven beard wise. I know several of them who grow facial hair on vacation simply because they can. My roommate does the reverse though. When he's doing his 60-80 hour work weeks once a year or so, he stops shaving to see how long he can get his beard in that time period. But in general, I'd say that the whole beard growing thing like your friend does is a common thing among jobs like that.
                    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

One of my coworkers has been growing a beard for quite some time. A few months or so. And it has gotten pretty big. To the point where the other day on Facebook, he announced that from now through late May (his birthday, when I presume he is going to shave it off), any time he sees a guy out and about with a longer beard than his, he will buy that man a drink.

Oddly, this prompted a few accusations of sexism. "Why just men?" a couple ladies asked.

To which I chimed in, if any woman comes along with a beard longer than my coworker's, I'LL buy her a damn drink!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

My ex was in the Army. He grew a goatee every time he was on leave.

Comment

Hubby was active duty for 6 years and yes he would not shave on his days off. If he went on vacation then he didnt shave for 30 days. Alot of men actually break out from having to shave all the time. Hubby would get all kinds of red spots after shaving. So it was relief for him.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
                            The times, they are a changing. 10 years ago, someone would have said "ZZ Top" beards rather than "Duck Dynasty" beards. Ahh, cultural memes...
                            Ironically, the theme song for Duck Dynasty is "Sharp Dressed Man" by ZZ Top. Must have cost them a fortune for the rights.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It's likely for a gas mask, beards interfere with the seal required to keep the gas out. While I no longer have to wear one at work on a routine basis (used to handle liquid called Thionyl Chloride, a lovely acid gas that would sear your lungs shut in about 30 seconds), I'm still required to be capable of wearing my respirator at a moments notice. Which means clean shaven when during the work week.

Long weekends or any time off- I don't shave at all. The rare time i can rebel against the requirements of my job.

Comment

Working...
                              X