This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailman just chewed out receptionist!

Quick background: Where I am working today, our area is directly off of the reception area and there's an open door between them. We can hear every conversation that takes place out there. Also, this is a multi-tenant office building.

This happened just a few minutes ago. I was minding my own business when the mailman came into reception with a package. He asked if so-and-so worked at this company, and the receptionist said yes. He then proceeded to chew her out because the address on the package did not include the company name, that he didn't have the time to go around to all the companies in the building to ask, and that from now on, any such insufficiently addressed packages would be returned to sender. He also told - not asked, not suggested - but flat-out TOLD the receptionist that she needed to send out a company-wide memo telling people to make sure their packages are addressed correctly. And he was really pissy about the whole thing, too.

OK, I know as well as any postal carrier how much of a pain in the ass it is when something is insufficiently addressed. I deal with the same kind of problem all the time when receiving and shipping packages in my job. People make these sorts of mistakes ALL the time and it can get really frustrating. I've lost track of how many times I've had to chase people down to get the right information, and how often it's people who SHOULD know better. It's annoying as all hell, I know.

But chewing out the receptionist for it is completely unacceptable. It's rude, unprofessional, and what's more it's not going to accomplish anything.

First of all, she can not control what information people include when they send out the address. The package in question was a personal package that had been purchased on eBay; it may simply not have occurred to them to put a COMPANY name on a PERSONAL package. But whatever the reason, it's not something the receptionist - or anyone else here, for that matter - can control. Sending out a company-wide memo (which, by thew way, has ALREADY BEEN DONE, and she told the guy that. He kept it up anyway) guarantees nothing. Anyone on this forum understand that SCs never read signs/emails/memos/etc.

Then there's the fact that we can't control what the shipper puts on the address label. It could just as easily have been a screw up on their end.

And lastly, who the hell is he to tell ANYONE on his route what to do? "You need to send out a company-wide memo?" Who died and made you CEO? It's not his place to tell any company how to run their business. Besides, as I pointed out, this was a PERSONAL package (and it was obvious, since it said eBay click n ship right on it). The company doesn't give a hoot about personal mail or packages. As long as the work-related stuff shows up, then they are happy and have no incentive to take the time or energy to remind people about this.

I suggested that she call the post office to complain about the way he handled the situation. Even if the problem was severe enough to say something, it could have been handled a LOT better than chewing out the receptionist over it. It's exactly the same as an SC cussing out a CSR over something the CSR has no control over.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 01-21-2014, 03:27 PM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

And he probably does this more than once a day to more than just this place of business.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
      And he probably does this more than once a day to more than just this place of business.
      Yeah, someone on a bit of a power trip because, in the words of Newman, "When you control the mail, you control information."

Unacceptable behavior on that mail carrier's part.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        Yeah, someone on a bit of a power trip because, in the words of Newman, "When you control the mail, you control information."

Unacceptable behavior on that mail carrier's part.
        On one hand, the mailman here acts like this because the postal service, at least at one time, was a monopoly prior to UPS, Fed Ex, and others. Today, on the other hand, the postal service is a business being they're always trying to get you upgrade your shipping options and buy stamps when sending out packages.

This guy here.......sounds like he probably likes it both ways when it's convenient.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
          But chewing out the receptionist for it is completely unacceptable. It's rude, unprofessional, and what's more it's not going to accomplish anything.
          To say nothing of the fact that is was in no way the receptionist's fault! Talk about shooting the messenger, or I guess just taking it out on the first one there you see?

The mailman is supposed to be a professional who (well prior to 1971 anyway) works for and represents the United States of America. And needs to ACT LIKE ONE.

Comment

She should complain to his boss, but also be prepared for them to totally defend him and not even listen to her. I've had run-ins with postal people before and had one say something utterly outrageous and stupid to me, which I got blamed for when I spoke to her boss.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah the postal people can be outrageous. My favorite example is my postal carrier.

Sometimes, he has to come to my door to get a signature on a package or letter. I live in a rural area - within the county, in a development. It's not a crime-ridden area AT ALL! Okay, well we did have that meth lab bust 6 years ago, but nothing since then, I SWEAR!

My front door is exactly 9 feet from my driveway (I measured it after MANY times of him complaining!) Postal carrier does not WANT to take my package/letter to my door - he sits in the driveway and honks. Yeah, okay, I'm home (sometimes), so I can go out there and get it. But why should I? Its HIS job to deliver the mail to my door, is it not?

I've asked and complained about this issue. I mean, really, if your delivery requires a signature, shouldn't you make the effort to go knock on the door and get one? (ANY one, if my dog could sign her name, it would count!) But no ................

When I've questioned why he doesn't get out of his truck to get the dang signature, this is what he says ....

"My truck might get stolen!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Ummm really? In this crime-infested neighborhood in the Piedmont of North Carolina? Where we can't even hear our neighbors because each lot is an acre? I call LAZY!!!!!

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                Postal carrier does not WANT to take my package/letter to my door - he sits in the driveway and honks.
                Wow. my postal guy is pretty awesome on things like that - he hops out of the truck and comes to the door no problem, he's good about leaving packages in useful places, etc. Honestly, I'd be fine with him driving the truck up the driveway to save some time for him, but he doesn't even do that.

Sorry you got one of the bad ones!
                Last edited by Dave1982; 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM. Reason: there was no need to quote the entire post; we just read it
                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Wow. What an ass. I had a similar situation with a package I had sent to work, which I acknowledge was my fault. I had ordered something, and my work address was saved. But I didn't notice until after I had hit "place order" that the company name had somehow been ommitted. Ok, no biggie. My company is small; we occupy two out of three floors of our building. there are two smaller companies on the other floor. Our mail is delivered directly to OUR mailroom, which only serves our company. Their mail is deliverred by the carrier, who comes in and walks DIRECTLY past reception, which is for MY company only.

So i'm awaiting my package, and i see at 10:03 am "out for delivery" great. 10:24 "sending back to shipper" WTF? I figured maybe the carrier went to the othe floor, they said no, sorry, that person doens't work here, and left. Problem is, they could have stopped at reception, which they walk past, and asked, and no matter who was there, they would ahve said, yes, she works here.

I then called the post office and spoke to 2 different people who couldn't give two shits. "Well, there must have been some issue with the address" and "you'll need to call back at *very inconvenient time* and speak to the carrier" Whatever. Less than helpful is being nice.

so the next day, my mailroom calls me, and don't know you, there is my package, with the company name scrawled on it with a huge ? So I guess someone said, hey, did you bother to check larger company in that building????? I know it was my error, but it was inadvertant, and certainly could have been resolved had they simply taken 3 seconds to stop and ask.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                    Yeah the postal people can be outrageous. My favorite example is my postal carrier.

S

"My truck might get stolen!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Ummm really? In this crime-infested neighborhood in the Piedmont of North Carolina? Where we can't even hear our neighbors because each lot is an acre? I call LAZY!!!!!

Once a week we get a replacement postal carrier than the usual one... I swear, 90% of the replacement guys are lazy bums. Instead of opening our door and walking in to give us the mail (more importantly to pick up outgoing mail) they just stuff it in the mailbox outside. I sit five feet from the front door - you want to tell me you can't see me sitting here waiting for the mail? Plus they either can't or don't read the addresses. I get a local newspaper once a week - guaranteed if it comes on a day when we have the replacement carrier they always put it in the mailbox for the apartment upstairs, despite the label clearly saying "First Floor".

Comment

I prefer my carriers don't get out of their trucks, provided they drive up the driveway and come to a complete stop before honking and fleeing. Not sitting at the end of my really long driveway, honking as though we could hear him. That's if he didn't just speed by as he honked. He was also bad about wedging packages between mailboxes. We can't see the end of our driveway! I called the post office to complain so many times, all for naught. Fortunately, the idiot retired and his temp took the route up. A vast improvement!

Today, I had a package that was supposed to arrive, but didn't hear her honk. Turns out my Dad was outside, so he got the package from her. She'll bring up all three families mail too when she has a package for one. (We're all related and often get the others' mail when their sick or it's miserable out.)
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                      X