X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother of the Year! (Plus Runner-Up)

Mom of the Year

It was about 7am and I was hanging signs near the furniture section. Out furniture section has those display stages that sit about 6” off the ground. I look over and see this woman sitting on the stage on one of the display chairs (despite the fact that my store has benches stationed in several places) texting away while her 2 year old son jumped and bounced on another chair. The chair in question was about 18” from leg tip to padded seat and the chair was right at the edge so the boy was actually 2 feet off the ground when he wasn’t jumping; add in the jumps and who knows how big a fall it could be. I was contemplating calling security (I don’t have an employee phone or a list of phone numbers so I would have had to use the store phone to call my boss and have him call his boss so his boss could call security and have them come all the way from the front of the store to the back of the store to tell this woman and her kid to not sit on the displays; I’d hate to do all that only to have to restart the phone chain to tell everyone that she left) when I heard a wail. The kid had fallen off the chair onto the floor and mommy dearest was still focused on her Facebook status or whatever. Finally, she gave an exaggerated sigh and picked her son up off the floor to scold him for “not letting mommy relax for even a few minutes.” I walked over and asked if he was ok.

MOTY: HE’S FINE!! HE’S JUST A CRYBABY LITTLE WHINER WHO DOES SHIT FOR ATTENTION TO MAKE ME FEEL LIKE I’M A BAAAAADDD MOMMY FOR WANTING TWO DAMN MINUTES OF RELAXATION!!!!

She then put her screaming child in the cart and walked away, still complaining to him about how he’s such an actor. Mommy can’t relax. Yada yada yada. Lady, he just fell over 2 feet! I don’t think he’s acting; I think he’s really scared and hurt!

Mom of the Year Night Addition

It was a little past 12:30am and I heard a piecing shriek; just one quick burst as opposed to a long Horror movie style scream. In a nearly silent store, that sound made people jump; it was startling. I heard it several more times until I found the source of it. It was a toddler. His mommy decided that midnight was the perfect time to bring her kid shopping and brought nothing for him to play with/teeth on. The shrieks were his entertainment.

Frazzled Customer: Can you please make him stop? That sound is ear shattering!
    MOTY: *siiiiiiigggghhhhsss* How? *irritated*
    FC: Parent him. Entertain him. Talk to him. Do something because it’s not fair to make everyone else in the store listen to that.

Mother of the Year stared at FC for a moment before plucking an item off the nearest display (it happened to be a cardboard and plastic package of flavored baking oils) and gave it to her son who began teething and drooling on it. FC stared in shocked silence as MOTY smirked and sauntered off. The trick didn’t last long and he started up his shrieking about 20 minutes later.
    Answers: $1
    Correct Answers: $2
    Answers that require thought: $5
    Dumb looks are still free.

I've always felt bad for the poor kids dragged drooping and half asleep in their pajamas to a WalFart at 3 in the morning. I'm sure then the parent's bitch that they're sleeping all day or grumpy!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

And we wonder where sc's come from? They grow up with no respect - they get none, even from mommy, so they never learned to give it.
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

My neighbor used to drag her kid out of bed around 11 PM every night to go and pick up her boyfriend for a booty call. That kid got so used to being in the car that he never wanted to get out of it when they got home from other places. She's an idiot.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Dare I hope to ask if MOTY was asked to pay for her child's chew toy?

Comment

Ohhh boy. I would have called Child Services on that first mother. If the kid was clearly hurt and she did nothing.

Comment

I remember reading an article where someone suggested that the best way to tell if you're ready to have children is when you start asking if you'll be a good parent and stop asking how a child will affect your lifestyle. I'm thinking these women rarely question anything other than their latest Facebook status.

Comment

We have 24-hour Wal-Mart for about a week before Christmas. I work retail, too, including nights - so this is a god-send for Christmas shopping. Boyfriend and I hit up Wal-Mart at 1AM on a Tuesday.

Store was packed, which I wasn't shocked by (not like we're the only night owls!), but I was DUMBFOUNDED by the number of people with (wide awake, often running around - overtired, much?) who had kids under 10 with them.
                "All god does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring." - Invisible Monsters

"The only thing stronger than fear is hope." - Suzanne Collins

Comment

Quoth Kisa View Post
                  Mother of the Year stared at FC for a moment before plucking an item off the nearest display (it happened to be a cardboard and plastic package of flavored baking oils) and gave it to her son who began teething and drooling on it.
                  Not only is this destroying merchandise, but what happens if the kid actually gets a taste of the oils? If they're anything like the ones I've dealt with, they're SUPER-concentrated. Kid's really going to scream when he burns his tongue on the stuff.

Quoth vstorevigilante View Post
                  but I was DUMBFOUNDED by the number of people with (wide awake, often running around - overtired, much?) who had kids under 10 with them.
                  Many years ago (back in the '70s, I think) MAD magazine had as one of their articles a "primer" about drive-in movies. Paraphrasing:

See the kids sleep with their eyes open. Tomorrow they will sleep with their eyes closed - in school.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

"Oh, you're bringing your screaming child here at arse o'clock? Sorry, we don't serve your kind here."

If only.

Comment

Quoth Kisa View Post
                      [B]Mom of the Year[/B
                      FC: Parent him. Entertain him. Talk to him. Do something because it’s not fair to make everyone else in the store listen to that
                      And that is it exactly. I have 2 little boys and parents like the one you describe annoy the living hell outta me.

Comment

Gee, and I thought I was a bad mom for leaving my son to cry in his crib while I took a shower!

Comment

Working...
                        X