This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grim Reaper shall overcome

Folk singer Pete Seeger died on Monday at the age of 94.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

There's been pretty decent buzz about it on social media, which is good, as he contributed a LOT to music in our lives. rip, Pete.

Comment

Where Have All The Flowers Gone (with Arlo Guthrie - More Together Again 1994)

Pete's banjo is very very dangerous... I Can't Help Falling In Love with You
      Last edited by dalesys; 01-30-2014, 12:01 PM.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Sounds like he was in relatively good health up to the end, I always worry about quality-of-life when I see someone go over the big nine-oh.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          Sounds like he was in relatively good health up to the end, I always worry about quality-of-life when I see someone go over the big nine-oh.
          There's some great footage on YouTube of him north of ninety; watching major superstars like Bruce Springsteen gazing at him like gobstruck fanboys never gets old. (Our heroes have heroes. Who knew?) Bit past his prime, of course, not plucking the banjo as nimbly he used to, but the absolute center of any stage he's on.

I heard the news from NPR on my way home from the gym and was as startled by the lengths our government went through to shut him up as I was by his awesome iconography and legendary resume. This country went through some really weird times.

Comment

I had never actually heard his name, but I know some of the songs. I caught his story on American Masters on one of the PBS stations earlier. Glad there wasn't anything else I wanted to watch and that I was in the mood for public television. Bill Clinton had said of him that while some musicians make music history, he made history with his music. That made me tear up because I really appreciate people like Seeger. I still can't believe the McCarthy era happened. And yes, I sang along with We Shall Overcome and it made me cry.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

He was up in our area here recently and made an appearance at a meeting of the Newspaper Guild, played a song about newspapermen. Unfortunately I was not there, I heard about it later.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I just recently came across a transcript (only a partial one, I think) of his appearance before the House Un-American Activities Commission in 1955. It was a very impressive example of how to stand up to bullies. He didn't plead the Fifth but he absolutely refused to be stampeded into giving them the info they wanted.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                  I just recently came across a transcript
                  Linky, please?

Comment

Working...
                  X