This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom has a new hip

I probably posted in the blanket fort about how my mom found out in November that she needed a hip replacement (her hip had been acting up for a while, but all of a sudden it went on the offensive). Originally, the surgeon couldn't see her until mid-March; that's when her work ramps up, so she didn't want to be out of commission into April.

As mom said: "God works in mysterious ways, but Jesuits get things done!" Someone at her church--she's both a parishioner and an employee--pulled some strings and got her in for the surgery Tuesday in one of the best hospitals in the city. The surgeon is a great guy; I keep telling mom to send him a thank-you card.

She came home yesterday and is managing crutches well; not a lot of pain. She does have to inject herself in the stomach with a blood thinner for 30 days, and certain movements are forbidden until the new hip settles (she can't lie down on the couch with her legs up, which annoys our cat greatly as he has 'trained' her to lie down so he can walk on her). There's a visiting nurse dropping by later this morning; my schedule especially this week (somehow wound up with three PT jobs) is crazy enough that I may not really be home at all during the day.

We're both glad that it's over with; she never lets anything bother her, but this was. My grandmother (her mother) had the same thing--severe osteoarthritis in one hip--and refused to have anything done with it.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor
Working...
X