This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
    I tried to get some warranty work out of the manufacturer for replacement parts, but even with the tow driver backing me up the manager of the service area of the dealership kept insisting I MUST have hit something, there was no other way this could happen.

Yet one more in a long line of reasons I will never buy a car of that brand again.
    Based on your description of what happened, what I saw in the picture, and my (limited) background in metallurgy, it looks like either "stress-corrosion failure" or a fatigue failure - in either case, the part must have been damaged to create a "stress riser" (probably when it was stamped out at the factory) - otherwise there would have been an epidemic of such failures, followed by a recall of the cars in question. Did you see the rust on the broken end in the picture? That's a clear sign that (at least part of) the break happened LONG before the final failure.

How old was the car at the time this happened, and what make was it?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      It's my understanding that cabs are licensed at a city-level jurisdiction. If I were to take a taxi from Toronto to the company yard in Mississauga (suburb of Toronto), that cab wouldn't be able to pick up a fare in Mississauga for the trip back to Toronto. A NYC cab would definitely be outside its jurisdiction in Massachussets.
      Isn't the license just for picking up passengers? The driver wouldn't be able to pick anybody up (legally) until he got home, but the fare would probably pay his wages and expenses both ways. That's the way it works here.

The longest ride I've heard about in the company I work for was Copenhagen to Istanbul (!) but of course something like that, and even long rides inside Denmark, are negotiated with higher ups in the company and they'll demand money up front before sending the ride out on the radio. I have been told to run a credit card before starting for at least half the fare if someone need a long ride.

Comment

The Cabbies in my city occasionally get hired for long trips, but I'm pretty sure payment options are arranged ahead of time.

Last incident I heard (from a cabbie from another company) was that Trius's fleet was decimated because of a storm the night before. A flight to Halifax got diverted to my city, and they hired Trius's cabbies to drive some of the diverted passengers to Halifax. (6-8 hour one way).

More normally, I've heard stories of cabbies having to drive up to Woodstock (1 hour) or down to Moncton or Saint John (2.5 and 2 h resp) with passengers. So it's not completely unheard of. (Especially a couple years back when we had NO Inter-city bus service in the province, so your choices were basically get a car, or thumb a ride)

Comment

My local cab company has a policy that a deposit is required, up front, for any out-of-town trips. I forget if it's a percentage of the total fare or a flat fee, but I do know that the driver will not leave until they have cash in hand.
          Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

I dont know if they still do it but the cabs in arizona would have a flat rate from Tempe to Phoenix airport. It was like 40 a person.

I once had a tow from Orlando to Ocoee florida which was like 35 miles at the time. I had no money on me but I got the guy to stop at an ATM. I blew a rod in the engine block and locked it up.

Comment

Working...
            X