Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You really shouldn't need to bath a short haired cat. They should do a good enough job of cleaning themselves, unless they get into something potentially toxic or need a flea bath.

Of course, since Taz is an indoor kitty I've never had to bath her.

The kind of pet food you use makes a huge difference. Taz does much better with shedding when I feed her Science Diet as opposed to Meow Mix.

Evil Empryss has had similiar experiences with her dogs Goldie and Copper. Goldie was on a special diet for GI problems for years. We never connected her constant shedding with the food (EE takes her to the groomer when she can scrape up the money for it, it is not cheap). Eventually she shaved Goldie so she could get all the matted underfur cleaned up. Then they got Copper, and he started having problems with constant itching. He didn't have mange, fleas or anything else. They tried switching them both to a different dog food and saw immediate improvement in shedding and scratching.

EE and the Evil Princess bath both dogs when necessary. Copper especially gets pretty nasty when he's been over at my place playing in my back yard (mine's fenced, hers isn't).

Seraph is right about human skin; we see a lot of cellulitis (inflammation and infection) in skin folds, especially in diabetics. They can lead to open sores and require surgery. Dogs and cats are no different. Regular skin care, the right food, and brushing are mandatory for any animal, even short hairs.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
    X