This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky non-guests

The people in the neighborhood around The Resort can be a bit...special.

The other night it was a busy night at our restaurant. Some people from the neighborhood came in and were miffed that they couldn't get a table. They came to the front desk to complain.

Sucky Resident: "You need to accommodate the locals! We just live up the hill and they wouldn't get us a table!"
    Supervisor: "I'm sorry, but on Saturday nights the restaurant is very busy. You need a reservation to get in on weekends."
    SR: "But we're local! You just discriminate against locals! All you care about are the people staying here!"
    Supervisor: "Sir, we are just busy. Even our hotel guests must make dining reservations because we are so busy. That said, we do take care of our guests first because we are a hotel and it is our job to give them priority. We are happy to serve outside guests as well, however on weekends you must make a reservation."
    SR: "I'll be talking to your manager in the morning!"

We have a similar entitlement problem in the morning with our newspapers. Neighbors will walk in and take our newspapers, then throw a huff when we tell them they can't do that because "We live in the community!". Yes, but those complimentary papers are for the guests who are paying us money. We order just enough for our guests and a few extra for the restaurant. If you want to buy a paper you can go to the convenience store next door; you can't take one of ours for free just because you happen to live in proximity to us!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    If you want to buy a paper you can go to the convenience store next door; you can't take one of ours for free just because you happen to live in proximity to us!
    I'd love to walk into their house and eat the contents of their fridge and give them the same excuse, see what their reactions are!
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
      I'd love to walk into their house and eat the contents of their fridge and give them the same excuse, see what their reactions are!
      ^^^THIS!

Does management give you any leeway in dealing with the local yokels?

If I was a guest and overheard that arguement between staff and local, I think I'd pipe up with, "Well, no shit they take care of their guests first! We pay them to take care of us! All you do is come in and take without buying!" Exchanging money for services is not a new or difficult concept.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        Exchanging money for services is not a new or difficult concept.
        Sadly, had to ftfy. The missing link is empathy. They know THEIR job depends on that exchange, but can't/don't want to imagine that works that way for other businesses, if THEY are the 'customer.'

I have to blame corporate ass-kissing for this. These people were always around, but in much smaller numbers. It didn't grow so out of proportion until employees were forbidden from snatching the newspaper back and saying "Are you a loon? That's for the guests of our hotel!" The hypothetical Everyone's-A-Customer put a stop to that. Then the numbers grew.

It really does seem that entitlement is stretching further and further into the realm of pure fantasy. I straight up wouldn't have believed bhs just a few years ago, but now I don't know what would trip my BS detector; I'm willing to believe people will grab anything.

Comment

I feel your pain bhskittykatt. My hotel provides a lot of complimentary amenities and it’s easy for “patrons” off the street to take advantage of it. With hundreds of people coming and going during the week it’s sometimes hard to keep track of who the actual guests are. My favorites are those people that are just blatant EW’s.

SC caller: Do you provide complimentary shuttle service to the airport?
          Me: We do, <explains hours, how it works, etc.>
          SC: Well, awesome! I’m Mc’Local; I plan to use your service.
          Me: And what day will you be staying with us on?
          SC: Oh, we aren’t staying there; we just wanted to use your shuttle.
          Me: I’m sorry Mr/Mrs Mc’Local we only provide that service for in house guests.
          <The EW switch gets flipped>
          SC: That’s unacceptable! @#$% What am I supposed to do about my car! %#$@ *&$# <click-slam>

I don’t know; park it at the airport like everyone else?

And SMS001 is right, a lot of it comes down from higher ups who want us to treat everyone as guests, but you got to draw the line somewhere. Good luck with the freeloaders BHS…I recommend getting a stick.
          "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive."---Elbert Hubbard

Comment

I need to thank you profusely for this post, because I have a reservation at a resort for this weekend, and it only just occurred to me upon reading it that I might want to make a reservation for the restaurant Friday night, seeing as it's the big V-day.

Turned out the restaurant wasn't even close to booked, but if not for you we might have spent the evening in a Micky-Dees.

Comment

Do these people also come in to help themselves to the "community" continental breakfast, normally reserved for the paying guests?

Comment

On one occasion a couple years back, I got back from a week's work only to find my car wouldn't start. It was late at night, and the only car rental locations still open were at the airport. There was a hotel a couple blocks away that had a shuttle to the airport. I went there, and ASKED HOW MUCH THE SHUTTLE WAS FOR NON-GUESTS. $10 was a lot cheaper than taxi fare.

Draykoja's customer could have tried that option, or paid for parking at the airport. Of course, an SC would take option #3: park at the departure level curb. When they get back from their flight, go to the arrival level curb, then complain that nobody has moved their car to where it OBVIOUSLY would be required. Go to where they parked it, see that it's no longer there (hello Argabarga), and report it as stolen.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                X