This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a LOT of water!

When I was a kid,Nan had an atlas with this in and it always freaked me out.It was just so BIG...and empty.
    To find it for yourself,go on Google Earth and search for Pitcairn Island.When you've got it,zoom out until you just have about the poles touching the top and bottom of the page.
    And now imagine you're on a raft bobbing about somewhere in there and how any one is going to ever find you... in a place where a frigging ISLAND is just a dot and a 30,000 foot trench is just a little black line. And then think of all the the weird and wonderful creatures that might be occupying that space with you.
    Eep.
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

I have to say every time I look at google maps/earth and it's just over water I get an irrational fear come over me.

Same thing happens (though slightly more intense) if I'm out in the water at the beach and I can't feel the bottom

I'm a fairly decent swimmer, so I'm not sure where it comes from

Comment

My friend has that. I've no idea if it's right but the word she coined for it is kenophobia - feae of the void. She doesn't like looking at the Hubble Deep Field either.
      "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

I am sort of the reverse - I can't think of anything better than being in the middle of Silver Lake at about 2 AM with a full moon and a sky full of stars, floating on my back on a hot summer night.

I might also add that I absolutely adore scuba diving, there is nothing like floating suspended in a cloud of tiny fish swirling around you like stars in space. Probably the closest to getting into space and feeling microgravity I will ever get.

[I do stumble upon, and a few weeks ago I stumbled upon a picture of Stephen Hawking on the vomit comet floating in effective microgravity. *sigh*]

Found it.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I remember when I found out about the "bloop". Big underwater sound of unknown origin, which has since been solved and taken some of the fun out of the world. Given the area of water in this world, there's probably more unknowns out there still to find.
          http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...solved-sort-of
          If nothing else, we've always got space to make us feel like a tiny little speck. And that thought's harder to shift than the sea because you're always in space.
          http://www.guide-to-the-universe.com/space-roar.html
          So long as no one actually invents a total perspective vortex, we're probably fine though.

Comment

Working...
          X