This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frat boys ahoy! (long)

Several years ago at the Con of Dragon there was an occurrence that changed how the convention was handled.

For those that don't know, DragonCon is known as NerdiGras for the party atmosphere, one that is helped by the convention being held in a string of hotels (Most being interconnected by a number of over the street habitat trails. Kind of cool). You basically have 60+ thousand freaks, geeks and weirdos partying for 4 days straight. Morals are loosened, clothes are removed, and some beautiful barely there costumes are revealed (especially after dark. 8:00 rolls around and WOW).
    Can you picture it? Sounds pretty cool, right?
    Unfortunately word got around to individuals from several colleges who were in town for a major college football game that weekend. It was determined that they needed to come save the women from us lowly nerds.
    The list of suck over the weekend included:

The Tighty Whitey Crew : These wonderful individuals were a group of 5 or 6 who ran around in nothing but briefs. They would surround a woman, grind on her and run off. Status: Never caught

Check THIS baby out!: During the Saturday parade (which brings in thousands of Atlanta locals to watch) one genius decided that he was going to expose himself and walk through the crowd with his tool hanging out. Status: Arrested and hauled off

Fire! : Someone set an elevator shaft on fire. I shit you not. Culprit unknown.

This room needs better ventilation!: A large boardroom table was thrown through a picture window in one of the meeting rooms to the street below. Culprit unknown.

Fight, fight baby: As of Friday night I heard from security (Always make friends with secops. They have the best stories) They had already made as many calls to the police as they do over the entire weekend. One day in. One of the bars had to be closed while the staff cleaned up the blood from the brawlers. Status: Lots of arrests and the weekend spent in jail.

Hey baby, nice ARGGHH: The "can I get a picture" and then molesting the costumed woman and running off backfired. Apparently she had a decade of Air Force MP duty under her belt. Status: Possible broken nose. Blood all over the floor where she put him 2.3 seconds after he licked her cleavage

And many more. But you see the theme. Aside from the Tighty Whitey crew nearly all of the culprits were wearing gear from the 2 teams playing that weekend, some of which were assumed to be staying at the hotels.

Aftermath:
    This is where the good comes in. Con management got together with the hotels, and it is now in the convention charter that from Friday afternoon to 2 AM Sunday night/Monday morning the only way to enter a host hotel is with a convention badge or a keycard. Somehow the lads got quite a bit less enthusiastic about mayhem when they were no longer able to melt back into the tsunami of douche.

No fratching, please!
    Last edited by Redbeard; 02-18-2014, 02:01 AM. Reason: clarification, wording

Sigh. Sometimes the fratjockbros just can't wrap their heads around the notion that some women prefer geeks to them.

Don't forget, "Bro," that we geeks are the ones who invented your "kick-ass TV" all the other technology you like to take advantage of.

Geeks rule the world. Never forget that.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

This is why

I

HATE

BROS
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I haven't been to Dragoncon in 6 years or so...it was simply too crowded for me to have fun anymore.

Sounds like I haven't missed much.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I was there that year (just about every year since ' 02) and was relieved when they enacted the entry restrictions the next year. I always stay at the Marriott and have been pleased to watch as the wrinkles get ironed out a little more every year.
          The year you're talking about though, wasn't that the same year some of those bros and their crew were passing the con rate room codes around?

As an aside: my first D*Con cost me $40 for the badge, $75 for my quarter of the room and $50 for food. I miss being 20 and surviving on pop tarts and tea all weekend.

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
            I was there that year (just about every year since ' 02) and was relieved when they enacted the entry restrictions the next year. I always stay at the Marriott and have been pleased to watch as the wrinkles get ironed out a little more every year.
            The year you're talking about though, wasn't that the same year some of those bros and their crew were passing the con rate room codes around?

As an aside: my first D*Con cost me $40 for the badge, $75 for my quarter of the room and $50 for food. I miss being 20 and surviving on pop tarts and tea all weekend.
            That rumor was debunked. Maybe a dozen or so rooms went to the frats. What's causing the rooms to sell out so quickly now is that EVERYONE has decided to call the second the lines open

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              Sigh. Sometimes the fratjockbros just can't wrap their heads around the notion that some women prefer geeks to them.
              Not to mention the fact that most of the women they were molesting almost certainly ARE geeks.

Despite the fact that they were collegefratbros, the women would almost certainly be able to philosophise rings around them. And then describe the exact consistency and makeup of both Saturn's rings and electron rings.

I have a mental image of a woman in a She-nan the Barbarislut costume (no offence meant - some of such costumes can be very nice and well crafted), having grabbed one of the abusers by the arm, yanked, twisted, and dropped the abuser to the floor, face-down. While yelling "SECURITY" at the top of her lungs.

Then a cluster forms, of the hulkiest of the nerd-males. None of whom interferes, but all of whom make it very clear to the fratbros that ONLY hotel security or police will be permitted to deal with the situation.

(Side note: one of the best things about nerd/geek males: the default assumption about a woman is that she is competant. This isn't necessarily the case among nerd/geek teen males, but they quickly get it taught to them. By their adult peers. And I love you for it.)
              Last edited by Seshat; 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                Not to mention the fact that most of the women they were molesting almost certainly ARE geeks.
                Oh, I'm well aware of that.

Fratjockbros, on the other hand, are incapable of wrapping their monolithic skulls around the idea that a woman can be a geek as well.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

Fratjockbros, on the other hand, are incapable of wrapping their monolithic skulls around the idea that a woman can be a geek as well.
                  Or the fact that most women just don't want to be assaulted.
                  "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Can someone please tell me how the hell an elevator shaft can be set on fire??

I mean, WTF...??
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

I mean, WTF...??
                      IN CASE OF FIRE DO NOT USE ELEVATOR, USE STAIRS
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

I mean, WTF...??
                        The same way anything else can be set on fire.

Flammable material + match or lighter + optional accelerant = FIRE!!!

A good fire in an elevator shaft is dangerous, because it can heat up the air in the shaft, and then the rest of the building can catch pretty quick.

Comment

Hmmm.

I think I want to go to this... Dragoncon... I must investigate this.
                          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I'm glad they're taking care of the problem as much as they can, but you'll still never catch me at DragonCon. Far too many people.
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
                              Or the fact that most women just don't want to be assaulted.
                              Or the fact that women are fellow human beings with the ability to think for themselves, plus the same rights they have.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X