This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's MINE!

This story is old but I was reminded of it by a story about some bastards trying to get free internet through intimidation. A couple years ago I went to the library with my laptop to do some research and finish up some things I was working on, I put my jacket on the back of the chair opened up the laptop and put my messenger bag next to it. I made the mistake of walking not even 5 feet to the receptionist desk for a piece of paper and a pencil and find some lady about my moms age sitting in my seat, I was a very large desk all by myself and she just shoved my messenger bag aside and was trying to use my computer.

I ran right over there grabbed it from her closed it and hugged it to my chest glaring at her. She had the nerve to tell me to give it back to her, I told her it was my personal property and if she wanted a laptop then she could go buy her own. The receptionist herd us and got the security guard from the front and asked if there was any trouble, she told the guard she was only gonna use it for an hour and I told him it belonged to me. The receptionist said if she wanted to use the internet she should use one of the libraries computers, the lady tried to argue that since my laptop was in the library it was fair game since I walked away from it and that all the desktop ones were taken.

The guard told her to leave me alone and I asked him if he could make sure she stays here for 5 minutes so I can leave without her following me, he said he'd make sure. I put my laptop back in my bag and closed it and I left, as soon as I was out of the library I ran right to my car and made sure there was no one behind me.
    Last edited by iradney; 03-09-2014, 07:18 PM.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Now THAT takes balls...just walk up to someone's briefly unattended personal laptop and start using it?!

Comment

One of the things I've noticed since I first started working ten years ago is that some people just don't give a fuck and do whatever they want, you see that kind of attitude a lot at my job. Open food containers and drink bottles/cans that are empty, half empty, and shoved behind stuff. I had some jackass put a half empty can of red bull on my counter then ordered and got all his stuff, when he started walking away he didn't take the can so I told him he forgot it. He told me it wasn't his.
      ......../\
      ....../__\
      ..../\...../\
      ../__\../__\

Comment

I think I just saw this in the comments in a recent ehell submission
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I put it there. I edited it a little bit though, I put it up on the main site because I only had guest acces on their forums.
          ......../\
          ....../__\
          ..../\...../\
          ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
            I think I just saw this in the comments in a recent ehell submission

I seem to recall someone else posting here about an identical situation a few months ago, too.

found it:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=100636
            Last edited by An Haddock; 03-04-2014, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I just read the link, I don't think the lady I dealt with would've been as ballsy as to try something with me still sitting at the desk. I think if I was still sitting there and she tried to reach for it I would've closed it put it right in my bag and locked it, I hate how nowadays some people think that other peoples personal property is there's to use however they want. I think she was waiting for me to temporarily leave for whatever reason, I've brought my laptop there before with no problems. The only time I never left my laptop at a desk or table there is when I went to the bathroom, I took everything with me.
              ......../\
              ....../__\
              ..../\...../\
              ../__\../__\

Comment

This is the main reason my son put a password lock on his laptop when he took it to school. He didn't want his classmates getting any ideas while he wasn't there. I told him to not make the password one of his interests, but one of mine.. Needless to day, I don't think his friends would figure it out, since many of their parents probably don't remember the 80's idea of "anime."
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                  ... remember the 80's idea of "anime."
                  The 50's idea was Mr. & Mrs. Potatohead...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Passwords didn't help when my laptop was stolen. But, it would keep random passerby out when out in public.

And when I was out and about with my laptop, it was locked--physically--to something that was either bolted down, or big, bulky, and noisy when moved. I'd also lock the screen if I had to step away from it. And if I couldn't lock it physically... I wouldn't step away from it.

Too bad it wasn't (physically) locked when some asshole robbed my house. Funny enough, I eventually got it back--some lady (I use the term loosely) tried to pawn it and I got a letter from the police and a court date to claim it.
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Working...
                    X