This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have a limited menu . . . .

So, here I am in North Carolina, suffering through the aftermath of the worst ice storm in 12 years. Sleet and freezing rain turning to snow turning to sleet that fell for about 18 hours. Trees down all over (one hit my neighbor's house), and no electricity for two days.

Friday was the worst as the sleet was still falling. Power goes out about 4am pretty much all over the Piedmont Triad. I have a gas furnace, with an electric starter and blowers, electric stove, electric water heater. So I'm pretty much SOL. The only saving grace was it wasn't as cold as it could have been.

Most businesses shut down on Friday. Evil Empryss and I went to a House O Waffles, but they lost power and we ended up leaving. Went to Voldemart, and they were open. Busy, but open. Hence Sighting the First:

Deli Madness
    We picked up stuff for burgers (fish for me, it's Lent). EE planned to get out the gas grill to cook. The Evil Princess wants Swiss for the burgers. There's a big crowd around the deli, and this slack jawed fellow who was acting as if it were just another normal day. EP was getting pretty frustrated because he'd tell her "You're next" then "not yet" when she tried to order.

Then some guy (SG) starts waving a piece of paper at the deli guy (DG) and going on about his order. DG: I just got here, I'll get it after I finish with her (EP).

He then starts slicing her order. He was making slow deliberate slices with SG fumes, and starts bitching to the other customers. He finishes EP's order and we get the hell out of dodge. I realize Voldemart has a thing where you fill out an order slip, shop, and come back for your lunchmeat. His shopping was done (he had a big cart full of stuff) but his meat wasn't ready. So I don't blame him for being upset.

Limited Menu

Saturday morning I get up and still no power. I'm still in the mood for waffles, so I decide to try House O Waffles again. I need gas anyway. So I get to the one we usually go to (not the one from the previous day) hoping they have their power back. They don't, but the grill is gas fired so they're open. I decide to get something anyway; I was really hungry and hadn't eaten in over 18 hours.

The counter guy tells me they have a limited menu: egg sandwich with ham and cheese, egg sandwich with sausage and cheese, egg sandwich with bacon and cheese, and hashbrowns. They have coke or sprite to drink (from 2 liter bottles, fountain not working) or water. No coffee.

So of course, everyone else coming in asks for coffee (not me, I don't like it).

I order, and the food is very quick with such a limited menu. But it was hot, and it was good.

Old guy comes in and starts to order some kind of waffle platter. CG interrupts and says, "Sorry, sir. We have a limited menu today [cue menu spiel]."

OG: OK. Let me have [waffle platter to order].

CG: Sir, we have a limited menu today [cue spiel].

OG: OK. I'll just have [waffle platter to order].

Meanwhile, I'm sitting two chairs down doing the :bangdesk:

CG: (very patient), Sir, we have a limited menu today [gives spiel one last time]

OG: Oh. OK. [orders sandwich]. And coffee.

CG: We only have coke, sprite, or water.

Oy! The CG has the patience of a saint. He didn't get nasty or sarcastic. Bully for him. Manager was really nice too, thanking everyone for coming. I complimented him on how well things were running.

Manager: well, you do what you gotta do . . . .

And so you do!
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Somehow that last part made me think of the sketch from Monty Python.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

My sympathies. The last time we had a major problem like that (snow but it fell in Oct., trees still had leaves, it was dubbed "Arborgeddon").....we had no power for about 4 and a half days. We could light the gas burners on the stove so we were able to cook and make coffee, but no heat in the house. A lot of the stores were running on generators. I hope they get your power on soon!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
        I had "Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam...." going through my head with the sandwiches!
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Power came back late this morning to my house, but there are still areas in the city and county without power. Some folks just down the street from me didn't get their power back until late this afternoon. I'm not sanguine I won't lose power again this evening until they permanently fix all the damage.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
            Old guy comes in and starts to order some kind of waffle platter. CG interrupts and says, "Sorry, sir. We have a limited menu today [cue menu spiel]."
            At least he didn't keep requesting a sweetroll.
            Last edited by EricKei; 03-10-2014, 06:24 PM. Reason: we just read it, man
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              "Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam...."
              I DON'T LIKE SPAM!
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Looks like it's yellow on the "Waffle House Index"
                Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
                  Made me think of this old thing we had, way back in the 90's... I forget what happened to it, and I never found out what it was from, but it involved a Jack-in-the-Box drive-through and the fryer for the fries being down... And Ignus Moronis not understanding there's no french fries. *edit* Found it! (If I may link. I can remove if not!)
                  Last edited by ThirdGenRetail; 03-16-2014, 02:21 AM.
                  Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time, thank you!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      I DON'T LIKE SPAM!
                      I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth ThirdGenRetail View Post
                        *edit* Found it! (If I may link. I can remove if not!)
                        A: No worries. We only have issues with links if they're NSFW (meaning, just include a clear warning), or if you potentially stand to profit from them (affilliate links, etc).

B: Love it
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                          I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam and spam!
                          Bah. Even "Girls und Panzer" has been running that joke.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                            Bah. Even "Girls und Panzer" has been running that joke.
                            You know, I don't remember much about that anime except girls, tanks, and why the fuck do I keep watching this?
                            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

You know, this reminds me of when I worked at a frozen custard stand. The custard selection was always chocolate, vanilla and then whatever the flavor of the day was.

One day a lady comes in and wants Butter Pecan. I politely explain to her that we don't have that one and point out we have chocolate, vanilla and flavor of the day (which was Rocky Road that day).

So then she goes "Well then gimme black walnut". Again I explain to her that's not one of the choices and once again go over the selection. Then she asks for Strawberry. Now I'm getting frustrated and once again explain the choices. Then she goes 'Why only three choices? Ain't y'all 31 flavors?'

Comment

Working...
                              X