This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me) phone scam

Just had a call on my cell from 'Chase Bank' (might have been Citizens) saying my mastercard was blocked. It was an automated system, and I assume the next step would be for me to enter my card number.

I probably should have stayed on line to give them a fake card number (thereby wasting their time), but I want to go to bed.

Be careful out there and remember-if they call you, they need to be the one giving out the card numbers.
    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

I get emails like that. My account with HSBC, BankAmerica, Citizens, Chase, you name it...pretty much every bank except the one where I actually have an account...is blocked. Also emails from "Paypel" or "PayPa1" - really? They're not even trying...
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I almost got reeled in several years back with a phishing scam from what the email claimed to be PayPal. I hit the dispute button in the email. I don't remember what software I had on my computer, or what Firefox addons I had at the time, but it prevented me from opening the page as it detected phishing. Too close, but I'm wiser now.

My advice to anyone here is this: if you get any communications from a business you associate with, access the business in a way you know is legit. As in, call their actual phone number, visit their actual website. Don't use the information provided in the emails.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Get their contact data from your contract with them, the letterhead in paper mail they send you, other reliable communications you know are from them, or online sources you are totally certain of.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I only have a single credit card, and it's associated with [national computer retailer] and simply won't work anywhere else. go ahead, ijits, TRY to make my card work for you.
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I like to forward the fake PayPal emails to the actual company. They have an email addy for that. Don't know if they can do anything about it but I send them anyway.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              I like to forward the fake PayPal emails to the actual company. They have an email addy for that. Don't know if they can do anything about it but I send them anyway.
              Yeah, I do that whenever I get a phishing e-mail, too. Most companies have a specific e-mail addresss to forward them to, but there was one that I couldn't find one for - I guess they don't care about phishing.

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                Just had a call on my cell from 'Chase Bank' (might have been Citizens) saying my mastercard was blocked. It was an automated system, and I assume the next step would be for me to enter my card number.

I probably should have stayed on line to give them a fake card number (thereby wasting their time), but I want to go to bed.

Be careful out there and remember-if they call you, they need to be the one giving out the card numbers.
                tell them to put you on the do not call list.

if they continue to call, curse them out

even after that, if they continue to fuck with you then you can sue the everlasting shit out of them to the tune of thousands of dollars per occurance

i'm off a bit, but you have a case if you have documented proof that you've asked them to stop calling and you have proven that you're not the one they are trying to collect on.

(i havent been called by any bill collectors in a LONG time because well, i pay off all my fucking bills and i give any cold call collecters a damn earful.... call my # to collect on a debt? and i tell you the person you're looking to get money from isn't here, and you call again? i threaten to sue your company for everything you have. that tactic has kept me safe. i literally have not gotten a bill collecter to call me in over a year)
                If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

I once got an email from American Express, telling me that my replacement card had been sent, blah blah blah. I was suspicious, so I called them. Yes, they had called me, and yes, I had missed the fact that my card was about to expire. HOWEVER, since I wasn't aware of that, I hadn't been on the lookout for a new one, and also hadn't requested a new one, since the first one never arrived.

We went around a bit, and they first said, oh, well, the system did it automatically, then something about the replacement request being cancelled. Don't really remember much, but in the end, I just asked them to cancel any and all cards floating around, and issue me one with a new number. Which they did with no problem. Still not quite sure what happened, but in the end it got worked out. But no way I was going to respond to their email.

Comment

The number of times I have had an email from a bank telling me there is a problem with my account.Yep,the problem is I don't have an account with your bank....
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I got a legitimate call from my bank when my card got hijacked, but all they did was asked if they were speaking to (my name), and asked if I had made the purchase that their system had flagged. I told them I had not, and they told me they'd cancel the card, and advised me to call my bank at their regular number to wrap things up.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                      X