This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all the mechanics on the board...

I need a little advise. As I posted in another thread, I just nursed my sick, elderly car halfway across the country. I really can't afford to buy another car right now, so I'm hoping to get mine running again. I have a few thoughts, but I was hoping to get the opinions of people who know more than I do.

So, here's what happened. Towards the end of the first day of travelling (about 400 miljes), I got into an area where I needed to stop for stoplights. As soon as I slowed down, the car started to overheat. I got pulled over before it got too hot and got it cooled down. Since I was basically in the middle of nowhere, and it was night, I decided to try to nurse it (as it seemed to be holding an okay temperature as long as I was moving). I nursed it to the next city and got a hotel instead of trying to make it through to where I was intending on being that night. I let it sit for almost 24 hours and checked it out. At that point, the radiator relays were testing fine, both fans were kicking in and water moved through the radiator hoses just fine. I left again for my next stop. Well, just a few miles before my hotel, I got into rush hour traffic and again, the engine started to overheat. I got it pulled over (on the side of I-10 in the middle of downtown Phoenix in rush hour traffic) and had it towed to my hotel. The next morning I looked it over, and again, couldn't find anything wrong except for the fan that runs the heat/ac was now just hanging loose. I went ahead and had it towed to a shop where they reinstalled the a/c fan and tried to get it to overheat and were unsuccessful. I then headed out to my final destination.

I got to about the halfway point between Phoenix and my final destination and pulled over to feed the kids and stop for gas. As soon as I tried to get going again, the temperature gauge started rising again. I went ahead and parked it. It was 88F outside and I still had quite a bit of desert left to go. I figured I'd let it cool completely, look at it again, and at worst I'd get moving after nightfall when the air temperature was supposed to drop into the 50's. Well, after it cooled, I looked at it again. This time there was no evidence of water flow through the radiator and the fans were NOT kicking in. I spliced a wire into the radiator wires and hard wired that to the battery, so now if the engine is running the fan is continuously running. I got 60 miles out and something didn't seem right so I pulled over. At this point, my oil, which was fine when I left Phoenix, was now a quart low. I topped it off and kept going. I got to my exit to my final destination, and while waiting at a light to turn left, the temperature starting rising again. I pulled into a nearby parking lot, and by the time I got it parked, it was just a snot hair away from overheating again. I went ahead and had it towed the last mile to my friend's house.

This afternoon, I checked things over again. Again, everything looks good except for fluid not moving through the radiator. There's only a tiny bit of oil on the ground under the car, and that honestly doesn't look like oil, that looks like my existing transmission fluid leak. I'm going to go ahead and replace the thermostat, water pump and timing belt, as the timing belt needs to be replaced anyway and I actually have the new one in the trunk, and the water pump is right there. Thermostats are cheap and easy, so I figured I do that as well.

So, if you've gotten this far, I thank you. It's a 99 Honda Civc, LX, manual transmission. If the water pump, thermostat and timing belt don't fix it, any thoughts on what else could be wrong? I don't believe I've blown a head gasket, btw. The oil hasn't blown up the dipstick and the color is still good, plus it started right away and with no issues when I started it 16 hours after I stopped it last night. The engine idles great until it gets too hot.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Plugged radiator? Sticky thermostat? Those are the first things that come to mind.

Try cranking the heat to the max and see what happens.... If dumping heat through the heater core helps then the problem is almost certainly one of those two.

That said, go to this website: ericthecarguy.com and search there, or ask the question there. Lots of good info, including a bunch of videos on Honda cooling system problems.
    Last edited by It's me; 03-16-2014, 04:18 AM.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Also, if when you crank the heat to the max it DOESN'T blow hot, that could indicate a clog in plumbing common to the rad and the heater (or, if Murphy is having a bad day, 2 separate clogs).

When was the last time you had the coolant changed? What colour was the old coolant? What colour is the new coolant? The reason I ask is because the additive packages in old-style (green) coolant and new-style (red) coolant don't like each other, and if they're mixed you can get clogs.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Old and new are both green. The old was a little watered down, as I'd had some issues a few months ago when I drove from Miami to Key West and didn't double check to see that my son had, in fact put my car back together properly after I replaced a relay. He'd left the radiator cap off and I didn't have coolant, so I'd just put in purified water to replace what had evaporated out over the 60 miles or so it took me to figure out there was a problem (and it was demineralized water...I know better to put regular tap water in the radiator). It has been eating through a little bit more coolant than it should, so I've kept a jug of coolant in the car for the last two months or so. I've gone through about 3/4 of that jug in that time. It's an older car, so that didn't alarm me too much, but looking back, it might have been the beginning of whatever's going wrong now.

I'm considering going ahead and selling it as a project car. Public transportation where I am no isn't too terrible, and most of what I need to get to is within walking distance of where I'm staying. I'm not willing to dump too much more money into it at this point, but the thermostat and water pump aren't terribly expensive. I'll do that tomorrow and see what happens.

And I forgot to mention, the heat DOES blow hot when it's turned on. I didn't have it running long enough to see if it helps drop the temperature though.

Also, it's funny to watch how fast the temperature drops going downhill in the mountains with the car in neutral. I was amused.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Do you know anyone who has (or does your mechanic have access to) a camera which works in the infrared range? When the car's up to running temperature, take a picture of the rad (may require partial disassembly, i.e. get the A/C condenser out of the way). If some of the tubes are blocked, they'll show up cooler than the others. Of course, if your rad has multiple rows, the blocked ones might be "hiding" behind ones that are flowing properly.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

At this point I would assume that the water pump, or whatever is meant to supply power to that, is at fault. A radiator blockage is also possible, but the symptoms are intermittent in nature, which tells me that a more complex mechanical part is failing, eg. the pump. Intermittent blockages are, I think, rather less likely.

The temperature relays failing to operate may simply be a symptom of this, if the sensors for them are in the radiator rather than in the engine block. If there is no circulation, then the coolant in the radiator could be nice and cool while the coolant in the engine is approaching boiling point.

Is the water pump electrically or mechanically driven?

Comment

Water pump is mechanically driven. More specifically, it's timing belt driven.

Comment

The old thermostat is beyond nasty. It looks like it a combination of a clog and being stuck closed. We shall see. If it still gives me problems, I'll do the water pump. If that doesn't work, I may sell the car as a project car. I'm just not willing to sink too much into it. I have to decide soon, since the tags expire at the end of the month.

Comment

Radiator blockage, blockage of the water passages in the engine... Also, just because oil is leaking out of the lubrication system doesn't mean it's going to go on the ground. It might be getting into the cylinders and being burned, or getting into the cooling system. It sounds like you might have major issues.

Comment

The car is almost 16 years old and has been beaten to death the last couple years. If the thermostat and water pump don't fix it, then I'm not going to dump any more money into it. Really, I just need it to last another two months, though the area I'm in has reasonable public transportation, so it could die and I wouldn't be in too bad of a shape. I really think my best option is to sell it as a project car. I hate to do it though, as I'm pretty attached to poor Eddie. We've been through a lot together these last few years. He's gotten me from Minneapolis to Portland, then to Seattle, from Seattle down to Miami then to Fort Worth, TX and now to San Diego. But, I'm really thinking that it's time for him to retire.

Comment

Thought about it a little bit more. Posted it for sale on Craigslist at 2:02PM. Sold it at 3:25PM for more than my asking price. I guess now I'm car shopping. Time for a new thread...

Comment

Working...
                      X