Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Met one of my favorite bands last Thursday!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met one of my favorite bands last Thursday!

So my birthday was Friday. Last week I found out that one of my favorite bands, Týr, was going to be in town on Thursday. Got my tickets in advance, promptly broke my toe pretty severely on Wednesday, but swore I would go to the show anyway even if it meant standing around on crutches all night.

Got there about 2 hours before the doors were supposed to open, thinking there would be a line. There wasn't...we were the first ones there, so we waited in the car till just before the doors were to open. A car pulled up next to us and the driver got out and chatted with us a bit. We asked who he was here to see, and he said, "Oh, I'm with the first band that's playing." (A local metal band I'd never heard of before.)

Inside, we sit around in the front bar area till we hear someone speaking in the concert area. We go back and the first band had taken the stage, with an audience of approximately ten people. They're not bad, though they're not my type of metal. Mainly, the singer was hilarious in between songs and reminded me of a friend. Second band was a semi-local band I'd also never heard of. Also not my type of metal, but were interesting because they were female-fronted and she had the most impressive deep death metal growl you can imagine on a woman. She seemed to be unimpressed with the crowd size, only slightly bigger than the crowd for the first band, and the fact that the crowd was relatively tepid. She kept trying to engage the crowd and wasn't getting much of a response, so she seemed like she was goofing off half the time on stage.

Týr was amazing. Despite only having about 30 people in the crowd by the time they took the stage, they didn't hold back. Their set was far too short in my opinion and we were interrupted by the lead singer of the first band who was drunk as a skunk and thanking us profusely for being one of the few who was there for the first set. But I think Týr might have made a few new fans because they had a much better reaction than the first two bands. Their music was also more polished and more melodic, and had a distinctive traditional Faroese/Scandinavian sound, so they stood out from the first two bands.

I didn't stay for the headliner, Death Angel, but I waited around afterwards while my friend tried to gather Týr for a picture with me for my birthday (crutches help with getting sympathy too!), and heard them start their set, and while they were alright, again, not to my usual taste. I had gone to that show specifically to see Týr, and I wasn't disappointed.

My friend, that had come with me and my husband and is much more outgoing than me, spoke to every member of Týr at one point or another, and they said they'd be fine with the picture after they'd cleaned up a bit. So we waited around for about 45 minutes, both inside and outside the bar. The bass player (and later, the second guitarist) stopped and said he hadn't forgotten about us and it'd be just a bit longer.

I had been standing around outside and was in pain, so I went back inside with the husband and sat for a minute. Of course, THAT was when we saw the whole band pass a window outside, looking for us, so we went back out. My friend had just stepped into the bathroom and he was supposed to be taking the picture, so my husband took it after we chatted with the band for a bit. I shook all their hands, he snapped the pic and we said goodbye, then as we went back into the bar our friend was coming out and I said, "We can go now, you missed it!" He said he KNEW that was gonna happen.

But anyway, yes, that's the story of the best thing that happened to me for my birthday in a long while, that followed the WORST thing that has happened to me for my birthday ever. All in all, I came out in the positive, I think.

Pic attached!
    Attached Files
Working...
X