Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually have a bedpan, so I wouldn't need a chamber pot I suppose. Disposal might be a problem. A deep hole in the back yard, I suppose. So a shovel would be handy.

Even if you live in a condo, you can probably move away from the building to use a small grill. A guy in my old apartment complex used to do that all the time.

I have an oil lamp (dropped the glass shade so have to replace it), which burns oil very slowly; lasted for hours and hours without a refill.

Dry ice to keep the meat frozen. Non perishable foods that require little to no cooking: crackers, jam, cured meat, cheeses that can go a long time without refrigeration (I'm partial to Monteray Jack), pita break, candies.

I have a small camp stove for back packing that I can take outside and use to boil water or do small scale cooking. Oatmeal and soups is good for this, but I can also cook just about anything in small volumes.

A winter weight sleeping bag. Mine is rated to 0 degrees F, very toasty when the heat is out.

A radio with a hand crank to check the news/weather.

A cellphone batter recharger.

While most people have rechargers for cellphones in their cares, they make chargers that will take a plug for other electrical devices (translation: laptop!) that itself plugs into the lighter style plug.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

NOTE NOTE NOTE: even if you're running your car just to charge an appliance, DO NOT RUN IT IN THE GARAGE. Or any other enclosed space. Exhaust fumes are no longer as deadly as they were thirty or forty years ago, but they're still NASTY.

A hole in the backyard is adequate for a short time, but if the outage is expected to be of any significant duration, you probably want to learn how to make a safe-ish cesspit.
      To be blunt, there's a reason we don't use cesspits anymore, and prefer holding tanks or sewer systems. It can be summed up in one word: cholera. Actually, there's a wide variety of diseases which can be caused by cesspits leaking into the groundwater, but that's one of the big ones.

Dig your cesspit as deeply as you can without hitting the water table. (Yes, I know, if you're in NOLA, that's about half a foot.) Line the bottom with sand, then add layers of gravel of gradually increasing size. Or if it's easier, line the whole thing with brick, concrete blocks, or whatever of the sort you have access to. Both types of lining will encourage biological breakdown of the wastes, so that by the time the liquid hits the water table, it's mostly clean.

However, even with that, never drill a well near a cesspit.

Oh, and once the emergency is over, backfill it with the soil you had dug out. Keep some aside, and keep topping it off as the soil settles. And remember where it was: maybe plant a bush or something on top of it, so you don't dig into the pit for five years or more.

Most municipalities larger than a village ban cesspits, btw. I'd dig one for a short time, during the sort of serious emergency where the sewer was unusable; but once that was over, yeah, I'd cover it and never use it again.

(I have an aunt who lives 'naturally'. One time while I was there, she was digging her next cesspit - the last one was nearly full.)
      Last edited by Seshat; 03-19-2014, 08:58 PM.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Since I buy my food in bulk anyway (the joys of fixed income) I tend to have a lot of food that keeps well. For example, a milk crate will hold 32 cans of Nalley's chili (or similar items). I've got two crates. I buy 4 cans a month (one of each sort I like), and stick them in one of the crates. But only when I need to fill one. Otherwise, they just sit.

I've got two crates. So While I'm using cans from one the other is full. When it's time to switch to the other crate, I start buy cans to fill the other. So I have at least 32 cans at any time.

I also have a bunch of frozen stuff that can be eaten uncooked (though I'd prefer to have them heated)

I don't have anything to cook on if the power is out, but since I can't last more than a day without power anyway (cannot sleep without my CPAP and don't have the couple of grand to spare for the approved battery unit, I can't stay any longer than I can stay awake.)

But for most other problems I've got a lot of stuff that doesn't need much cooking (rice, barley, lentils, dried beans).

I've got batteries for a radio and for a nice lantern. And I've got a box that takes 4 AA batteries and has a USB connector. So I can charge my phone (among other things)

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          And turn your mobile completely off when not actively using it, until the power outage is over.
          Or get one of the gizmos that lets you put some batteries in it (usually AA) and has a USB port for charging/powering USB powered devices.

I need to take a damaged USB cable and make one that uses D cells.

That way, your phone will last as long as the batteries do. There are solar chargers for cell phones, but they generaly aren't worth it for short term use. Being able to power the phone from normal batteries is worth it.

Cooking is part of the process of tinning foods: you can safely eat tinned meats cold. Also tinned veggies and fruit and other stuff, naturally!

Most smoked and dried meats are also perfectly safe to eat without additional cooking.
          Most cheeses that are not "soft" (spreadable) will be perfectly safe to eat for *days* even it really hot weather. They may get soft and ooze oils, but they are still safe.

Hard cheeses were *intended* to keep for long times without spoiling before refrigeration. But they tend to be a bit of an acquired taste. :-)

Some things like summer sausage will keep ok without refrigeration. And still be safe for days after being opened.

*eggs* are safe without refrigeration for quite a bit longer than you'd think, as long as the shells aren't cracked.

All of the above are things learned from trying to pack light and be somewhat "period" for camping at SCA events. For 2 days, not a prob. Even for 3. 4 might be getting a bit iffy on some things depending on temperatures and other conditions.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
            NecessaryCatharsis, I know exactly where you're coming from. I still shudder from hearing of the folks at Pennsic who were found dead in their tent after using a gas-fueled heater during the night. I can't remember what sort of gas, but it's not something far from my mind when I use any sort of liquid fuel indoors. I'm fortunate in that my kitchen has some oddball window placement that provides pretty good cross ventilation, sometimes too much!
            It's not just liquid fueled. *Anything* that burns something generate heat can generate carbon monoxide.

Alcohol, kerosene, white gas, propane, charcoal, presto logs, wood, coal, they all can generate CO under the wrong circumstances.

So unless you are using them outside, or buring the solid stuff in a fireplace (with the damper open you are risking CO poisoning.

Best to buy one of those battery operated CO detectors and keep it with your emergency supplies. Keep it near the heating/cooking device and if it goes off, open the doors and windows and get outside!

Comment

Sorry to revive an oldish thread but I have not an idea, but a question.

Now, I live in Ga so the chances of a bad enough storm like Sandy coming through here are slim, but ya never know soo..my question is, everyone in my household (mom, step-dad & myself are on narcotic painkillers long term for various issues (mom has arthritis, step-dad has bad back & I have severe chronic migraines) & well our prescriptions (which only last us 2 months each) & refills can only be filled every 28 days ( I know it's actually 30 days but our pharmacy lets us refill them 3 days in advance of 30 days). So, if a blackout occurred & it lasted longer, God forbid, than our 'scripts last then how would that work?

I know many of you here have chronic pain issues & use painkillers so I figure someone here would know
              "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
                Sorry to revive an oldish thread but I have not an idea, but a question. Now, I live in Ga so the chances of a bad enough storm like Sandy coming through here are slim, but ya never know soo..my question is, everyone in my household (mom, step-dad & myself are on narcotic painkillers long term for various issues (mom has arthritis, step-dad has bad back & I have severe chronic migraines) & well our prescriptions (which only last us 2 months each) & refills can only be filled every 28 days ( I know it's actually 30 days but our pharmacy lets us refill them 3 days in advance of 30 days). So, if a blackout occurred & it lasted longer, God forbid, than our 'scripts last then how would that work? I know many of you here have chronic pain issues & use painkillers so I figure someone here would know
                I doubt you could fill them. But if it lasts longer than two months you could pool them together to bargain for food/items

Comment

Now, I live in Ga so the chances of a bad enough storm like Sandy coming through here are slim, but ya never know soo..my question is, everyone in my household (mom, step-dad & myself are on narcotic painkillers long term for various issues (mom has arthritis, step-dad has bad back & I have severe chronic migraines) & well our prescriptions (which only last us 2 months each) & refills can only be filled every 28 days ( I know it's actually 30 days but our pharmacy lets us refill them 3 days in advance of 30 days). So, if a blackout occurred & it lasted longer, God forbid, than our 'scripts last then how would that work?

I know many of you here have chronic pain issues & use painkillers so I figure someone here would know
                  If you get your scrip from a fairly widespread pharmacy [like CVS or Rite-Aid to name 2] you can call around until you find a branch that does have power, arrange to pick up the new batch of meds there and go for a road trip. I have a couple meds not covered by the Navy pharmacy so I get it from CVS, and I have had to pick it up all the way over at the town my Mom lives in, about 500 miles from m regular pharmacy. With proper photo ID it works out just fine. If there is a power outage, it tends to be fairly localized and you might have to travel up to 100 miles to find a branch that is open. [Military bases tend to have their own back up generation and have power when everywhere else is down so we can get meds pretty much all the time as well as use the locker rooms for hot showers and sneak into a barracks to do laundry.]
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Pimento, ha ha yeah no what I meant is if we already had a bottle of pills & the blackout happened mid month & we had a refill left on the 'script actually one thing I didn't mention is that my mom & I actually can make ours stretch to where we only have to go to get a new 'script every 3 months BUUTT I'm not gonna elaborate further 'cause I've mentioned it once before on another thread & got a mod delivered wrist slap ( if you want details PM me & I'll tell you ) Personally, I'd rather starve than go without my painkillers

AD...Actually we don't use CVS or the like, we use a small local pharmacy called U Save It Pharmacy ( the pharmacist who works there actually used to work at Rite Aid & for some odd ball reason Rite Aid management at his store let him & a bunch of his staff go so after he started working at U Save It, he called my step-dad & told him what happened so we all transferred our 'scripts to U Save It)..We used to occasionally have to go to another pharmacy to get our pain meds, but that was only because we got a new 'script for them before the 28 days was up on the old 'script) I generally don't like going to any other pharmacy because we take 10mg Norcos & they work, but another pharmacy may get their stock in from another company & their pills may not work as well

Jesus, there I go again, writing a friggin' novel I'll shut up now
                    Last edited by CorneliaMarieRocks; 04-16-2014, 12:03 AM. Reason: add something

Comment

Heehee. No worries. We don't really consider a thread "old" until the system auto-locks it, and that takes awhile. Necro to your heart's content

As for 'writing novels'...? You haven't been here all that long if ya think that's long. Our definition of 'long' is closer to three full screens of text. Or just a wall-o-text with no carriage returns (please report those if you see them, btw </modhat>). Your posts are neither
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

whew ok cool, thanks for the info Eric, appreciate it

yeah I've seen quite a few threads which could rival 'War & Peace' (and I enjoy reading long threads dun get me wrong ) I'm just always afraid that I'm boring folks (especially since it seems like threads I start get alot of 'hits' but not many responses) & that no one wants to hear me bitchin' about petty shit, glad I'm at least not boring you

I've seen threads that are wall 'o text & I just generally skip right over those, my eyes are bad enough as it is so I'll keep the report button in mind
                        Last edited by CorneliaMarieRocks; 04-16-2014, 01:44 AM. Reason: adding

Comment

I can't speak for America, but in Australia, the medical system will do their best to help patients who are stricken during a crisis like that.

Your doctor and your pharmacist know who you are, and that you will require the refills: that it's a need, not a want.

The relief organisation, whether it's the SES, the Red Cross, or one of the military's logistics branches, will be providing food, shelter, water, and acute-crisis medical care at first.

However, should the emergency continue, they'll work with the local medical personnel (eg, your doctor and your pharmacist), and try to ensure that the frail aged, chronically ill and disabled are also provided for.

That said, if Cyclone I'mGonnaEatGeorgia is approaching the coast nearest you, call your pharmacist and ask him to order in some extra meds. Even if it's not yet time that you can get them in your hands, it's nice to know that as long as the storm misses his shop, they'll be there for you.
                          Shipping/transport can be a nightmare after a disaster. Get your meds pre-ordered and earmarked for you, if you possibly can!
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                          X