Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firstly, teach the partner to 'comfort in, dump out'. (See the article above)

Secondly, teach the partner how to help when someone is having a panic attack, or other anxiety and depression symptoms. The helpless feeling truly does reduce when you have the techniques and skills to handle the situation.

Thirdly, when you're sure the partner is ready, have him come in when you're comforting her, and gradually take over from you. This might have to happen over the course of weeks, or even months, before they're both truly comfortable with it; but .. eh. They'll both be learning.

Of course, this presupposes that he's willing to take over.

Regardless of whether or not he's willing, he does need to learn not to dump on someone closer to the centre of the circle than he is. (If he's doing that.)
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
      Firstly, teach the partner to 'comfort in, dump out'. (See the article above)

<snip>

Of course, this presupposes that he's willing to take over.

Regardless of whether or not he's willing, he does need to learn not to dump on someone closer to the centre of the circle than he is. (If he's doing that.)
      Thing is, I don't know the partner (having only ever met him once). I can't imagine the convo going well.

I'm going to have to go through my friend to broach this - that said she's currently going through a change in meds (due to side effects) but she has to wait a week before she can start the new ones. Until she's stable on the meds I don't really want to talk to her about it as she'll be going through enough as it is. I've a lot to think about.
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
      X