This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beauracracy at Work!

I'm putting this here because it, at least peripherally, involves my employer.

So, I got a new job!

Anywho, that's not the point of this post, but a relevant detail. See, I was conditionally hired on 3/5, the condition being the completion and return of several background checks, and a medical screening. The paperwork finally came in last Fri, and Mon I got my Orientation schedule.

Now, today I was supposed to have a PREP course run through PA CareerLink which you are required to sign up for when you apply for Unemployment Compensation. This course is supposed to help you get re-employed. You would think, given the above paragraph that Mission Accomplished. Well, unfortunately the people in charge of this branch felt the need to be World Class .

You see, my new employer doesn't actually consider you to be "hired" until you complete your orientation. Until then I don't have a definitive start date. However, my new boss, when I asked her about the information I was supposed to provide to be exempt from the now unnecessary course, provided me with her business card and her direct line.

Armed with this information, I went to the CareerLink office. The person I spoke to was uncooperative, even though I was providing proof I was hired, she wouldn't exempt me from the course unless I had an official start date. She wouldn't even call my new employer, claiming it was my responsibility.

So, I went home extremely . First I called Unemployment Compensation. They insisted that they have nothing to do with CareerLink, unless I fail to attend the course. After which a "determination" would be made.

Then I called the State Senator's office to try and get their assistance. They basically said they had no way to assist me. Both of these places were of the mind that since I hadn't actually started working, that I should still attend this course, which, once again, is designed to assist people in finding employment.

I finally called my new employer, and asked if I could use one off my orientation dates as a "Return to Work" date on the form, just to meet the requirements for exemption. My employer asked for the number for CareerLink and said she would contact them to find out what was going on, as they had never had something like this occur.

When she called back a few minutes later, she told me that she was informed by the person in charge of the course that I had not submitted a completed form, and that all I needed to do was submit the completed form, and that would suffice. She told my new boss, that my new boss needn't do anything, that it was all on me. She then told me I could use the 1st orientation date as a start date, so I could avoid losing my UC.

I was livid. First, I now look incompetent to my new employer, like I can't understand simple directions. Second, because of all this I now look like a trouble maker. And third, it makes me look like I can't complete tasks with out direct intervention of a superior.

So, I now head back to the CareerLink office, and present the form, with the "Return to Work" date filled in. The same woman who had earlier told me that the information I provided was insufficient (same one that my new boss spoke to) now asks me where the Letter with my Official start date is. I (sarcastically) say "You mean the paper I submitted to you the last time" and she goes on to say that I need this letter from my employer (who was just told they didn't need to provide anything!).

I was seeing red, and angrily stated "I know you just talked to my employer, I know this." She then asked if I had my UC workbook with the Rules & Regulations. "You have GOT to be kidding me", I said as I prepared to leave, once again. She clarified that she just wanted to know if I had it, so she could attach it to the form, or if the form was all that I had, which I told her the latter was the case. She then copied my form, gave me the copy and I left.

I understand that they are trying to ensure that people are trying to find employment, and this is the reason for the requirements. But when some one comes in, with documentation, and you aren't willing to budge on the matter, that is NOT understandable. I had already deferred my first PREP appointment because I had an interview for the very job I was just hired to, and they won't allow a second deferment, for any reason.

I'm just .
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
    I'm just .
    Understandably so. As far as the new job is concerned, first, congrats! Secondly, I wouldn't sweat 'how you appear' too much; everyone knows what bureaucracy is like, and I'm guessing they are commiserating rather than judging you. I would probably mention it very casually, something along the lines of "Sorry to have involved you in that, they're a bit confused down at the Center" and let it go.

Good luck at the new gig.

Comment

Sounds like they're so wrapped up in their "official requirements" that they've forgotten what their actual purpose is. You'd think they'd be glad you found a job, and be eager to help.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Sounds like they're so wrapped up in their "official requirements" that they've forgotten what their actual purpose is. You'd think they'd be glad you found a job, and be eager to help.
        The 'official requirements' are there for a reason. Allegedly, it's to help prevent abuse of the system, but lately I've come to think that the 'official requirements' are an artificial obstacle placed to weed out some of the applicants. Sort of the same function the deductible serves on an insurance policy.

And for most of the people in a beauracracy, they don't give a crap one way or the other. They just do the job they're given. Breaking or circumventing any of the rules means they themselves might end up having to deal with that same beauracracy from the OTHER side of the desk.

And the rules in these agencies change almost weekly. I'm not surprised that you have two different interpretations of the rulebook.

Comment

Working...
        X