This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Define Creative Value

I have come to realize the people that frequent this board are among other things smart and creative, so I hope you can help. In your own words please tell me what the term "creative value" means to you.

Thank you

"Creative value"? Sounds like some corporate buzzword used to justify bigger bonuses for someone who doesn't do anything useful.

Sorry, and I realize this response is probably not helpful, but you did as for my own words.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I'd say it's either the RRP of a book or the amount a Picasso is insured for. Something valued by professionals who do that. The 'creative value' of a flower arrangement, a three-year-old's scribble, a lemon fanfiction or a pretty vase found at a car boot is so subjective that the term - especially if it is used as above, for someone's bonus - is almost worthless.
      "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

What's an RRP?

*is a bit of a dummy*
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
          What's an RRP?
          Guess: Regular Retail Price?
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

For me 'creative value' is the additional thinking that goes beyond the mundane and serviceable aspects of an object or service. A wheel holds a tire to a car, but those funky/shiny/spinny things you see on a modder's car have a creative value. Deco furniture, high-end hotel services, flash mobs, anything that goes above and beyond the utilitarian just for the sake of doing so.

Comment

It could be the value you place on creative thinking such as (on a teaching degree so this has been driven into my head with a large hammer) that shown in teaching lessons about dull topics, routine subjects or repetitive work. Use your creative side and a boring lesson becomes engaging and the children will remember it for years. That's one version of creative value at least.

Comment

RRP: Recommended Retail Price.

Hm. My initial thought was that 'creative value' is a buzzword. However, I can also see it as sms001 said: the difference between the most basic and practical version of an object, and that done with artistic or creative flair.

Thus, 'creative value' has to be subjective. This doesn't mean it's not assessable, however: its market value consists of what people will pay for that difference.

As an example of creative value: my home is a rather bland, even ugly building. It holds the rain off, contains a bathroom and some bedrooms and the like, but noone is ever going to buy it for prettiness.

For the sake of my family's pleasure, I'm painting murals onto the inside. Just random little things, but they make us happy. It adds creative value for us.
                It's probably not going to add market value, however, because the murals are idiosyncratic and amateur.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

To me, it is the difference between simply solving the problem put in front of you in the most straightforward way, and creating something elegant. It's the difference between an Art Deco building and a Soviet monstrosity.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                    What's an RRP?
                    of course...
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts. With your help my daughter was awarded a nice scholarship for her first year of college...Which Lord help me we move her in on Thursday.

Comment

Cool beans. Hope she does well. How far away?

Comment

Working...
                        X