This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    Going from Seatac to visit my parents in Huntsville, AL.
    Don't know what airline you're flying, but many years ago I used to fly to/from SeaTac a lot on American. Between security and my gate there was a bar with a sign on the door saying that it was illegal to bring firearms into the bar - do the bars "airside" of security still have those redundant signs?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
      I've only been to Atlanta airport once. I'll say this: I was TOTALLY unprepared for how HUGE it is!

I allowed the usual amount of time I allow for getting from place to place at MEL (Melbourne, Australia). This leaves me an easy half hour at the gate, even after checking bags and all the other guff.
      Yep. I've been to both airports, and there is no comparison.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

In my professional opinion, Chicago's O'Hare is the worst. The disadvantage to that airport is that it's huge, busy, and Chicago has horrible weather. Therefore, flights are constantly delayed and cancelled.

I think on a personal level, I'm simply used to ATL even though I do know it's huge and difficult to navigate.

The problem with cancelled and delayed flights nowadays is that all airlines are constantly booking flights to capacity (and overselling), so when one is cancelled, it's not unheard of for people to be stuck for a day or more because there's simply not another plane to put anyone on.

The key is knowing your rights as a passenger. If there are weather delays and cancellations, you're pretty much SOL with regard to many rights, but if an airline cancels due to crew, technical, or mechanical issues, travelers have lots of new rights they can exercise on them.
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

For newbies connecting through airports, this is something I do that will seem obvious to air travel veterans, but may not be so obvious to others.

As soon as my plane lands at the connecting airport, I immediately find out what gate my nest flight is at, and immediately make a beeline for that gate. I don't let anything else distract or sidetrack me. Land, go find new gate, period. And I go all the way to the gate and visually confirm that my next flight is, in fact, going out of that gate. (Arrival/Departure boards are not always accurate at airports, nor are they always up to speed with recent gate changes, which is why I do this immediately.)

Once I have done all that, and ONLY once I have done all that, if my layover is long enough, I find a decent bar/restaurant relatively close to my flight's departing gate, and settle in for lunch, a beer, or a cocktail.

Also remember that the departure time is NOT the boarding time. They will usually start boarding 20-30 minutes before departure. It is always better to be there too early than too late. Especially if you're relatively green in relation to air travel. After all, the coolest airport bar I've ever been in wasn't cool enough to warrant missing my flight and getting stuck in a strange city.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Oh, one thing I forgot to add, if anyone wants practical, simple advice as to your rights when traveling, hit me up on PM. I don't want to bore the thread with it.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
            X